Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 09:41   #61
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: restoring hurricane damaged 40+ foot newer Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyweather View Post
I have a lot more than that, but I know I will need it to bring the boat back to greatness.

[emoji1303]you are absolutely right about that.
We have owned 11 catamarans in different states of disrepair in the past 28 years and it’s mind boggling as to how much it costs to bring one back to life vs what one thinks.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:45   #62

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I'm with SMJ. I get as testy as the next person when people start criticizing. I get it. Forums are frustrating. Especially when there's nothing to do but read them.

By "burn the boat down" I'm actually being serious. You don't know what you're doing yet. Do you realize you can actually start a fire using epoxy or polyester?

We are cautioning you as to a roadblock we are seeing.

Transfer of ownership without payment (or 100% protection for the seller) is bad news. Keep us updated on that part.

As to if the boat is worth it, I don't think so. Too much interior to rip out and reinstall. Also you don't know where the damage goes yet. It took one hell of an impact. Destructive/exploratory cutting and grinding is the only way to be sure you'll have a boat that's safe to use as you described.

You'll need to grind or cut back from all damaged areas until you find glass and core in perfect condition.

You don't want structural failure at sea.

Why would the owner sell this boat instead of just fixing it and selling it for $200,000 more? There's got to be a reason. Think hard about that.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:53   #63

Boat: 1983 Cape Dory Cutter 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I'm with SMJ. I get as testy as the next person when people start criticizing. I get it. Forums are frustrating. Especially when there's nothing to do but read them.

By "burn the boat down" I'm actually being serious. You don't know what you're doing yet. Do you realize you can actually start a fire using epoxy or polyester?

We are cautioning you as to a roadblock we are seeing.

Transfer of ownership without payment (or 100% protection for the seller) is bad news. Keep us updated on that part.

As to if the boat is worth it, I don't think so. Too much interior to rip out and reinstall. Also you don't know where the damage goes yet. It took one hell of an impact. Destructive/exploratory cutting and grinding is the only way to be sure you'll have a boat that's safe to use as you described.

You'll need to grind or cut back from all damaged areas until you find glass and core in perfect condition.

You don't want structural failure at sea.

Why would the owner sell this boat instead of just fixing it and selling it for $200,000 more? There's got to be a reason. Think hard about that.
Thank you, info I can use.

The seller likely does not have time, and so would have to pay for all repairs and others time, which would likely put him around $200k+ I am guessing, then he has to try and sell a prev damaged boat for $250+k. Thats not too exciting for him most likely.

Myself, buying for $80k and fixing means buying material + parts, some contracting of help (I will spend $70k or so probably on top of the $80k ~estimate based on sellers condition report), plus, a LOT of my time (which I have), and when done, I have a boat that I would have had to pay $250+k for, and would have had to mortgage. To me this is exciting, if doable, as in the boat being fixable within near that price range quoted above (near $150k total). I will be flying in and have someone with experience with me before signing anything.
valleyweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 13:52   #64

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Thank you so much for this reply. I am not like most people out there, so I take advice as more info to work with, not my decision. I am 51 years into this life with lots more to go unless I get shot or run over by a truck. I have practiced a life of not using comforts like AC and other things that have made us weak as a society, so I feel I can handle the heat and discomfort of living on this boat. I have worked with fiberglass insulation before and remember the fibers going into my pores, not good, will have to be as protected as possible from that. I will be taking the good advice in here and writing it down for use as I go along, whether I buy this boat or not. Thanks again!
I wish you luck either way. I think you have the right attitude, but it really doesn't matter what I think. I agree completely, advice can help with decision making, but it should all be taken with a pinch of salt.

At 51, an old fart such as yourself knows what he's capable of doing, (I'm only 50 but catching up!) and you're obviously capable of sacrifice.

If I had taken the advice of others, I'd have never built this boat. It was going to be impossible, after all. It was also going to cost 4 times as much as I though it would, and take much too long (what's too long?), I'd get divorced over the stress... I'd be better off going to a bank and getting a nice used boat, within my budget, and pay interest for 20 years. blah, blah, blah.

It's not finished yet, but over all, we're happy we did it. We're sad to have lost 10 years of cruising to the build, but we were also busy getting ourselves set up with our "retirement" fund, future passive income, and getting my wife her Canadian citizenship. So, it really was a multipurpose hiatus, from cruising.

Cheers.
Paul.

EDIT: MY WIFE JUST INFORMED ME....... I'M 51 TOO!
Old 05-04-2020, 14:09   #65

Boat: 29 ft

The days, when a fiberglass hull was just that, a fibre glass hull, are gone. Today, you tend to have the outer hull and then a laminated stiffener web on the inside, glued together. In most cases. Now, to push the keel up into the hull, the stiffener web also has to give, either break or delaminate from the outer hull or both. Mostly, you can not get the stiffener web out, even if it has delaminated from the hull, as the bulkheads are resting on top of it. But the chances are, that the stiffener web needs repair and reglueing to the hull (beside repairing the outer skin). Possibly, the bulkheads have also come loose from the hull. Possibly, the bulkheads being pushed up have also opened the glue joint of the hull - deck joint. And here, the whole thing becomes an exercise compared to which tetris is childs play. The boat was likely assembled - hull first, stiffener web in, deck on top. Unless you want to take the deck off, you have to find work arounds whatever you do.

From a different angle: You want to buy a 250 kUSD boat for 80 kUSD. The delta is 170 kUSD. Call it 180 tUSD. And it's not worth it for the seller. So, actually, the thing might be a write off with some residual value for salvaging engines and parts. Could well be. But let's assume the boat is actually worth 80 kUSD and not a lot less. Let's assume 1/3 material. Call it 60 kEUR. Lets assume another 60 kUSD for work you have to have done. Let's assume another 60 kUSD worth of own work. Let's assume you are handy and your hour on the boat is worth 20 USD. That is 3.000 hours flat out, or two years full time. And likely, the boat will not be worth 250 kUSD afterwards as you did the repairs yourself.

Fill with your own figures.

Then - will your health support working with nasty chemicals full time for two years? Many projects are abondened because of epoxy allergies etc.

Nothing is impossible. In the end, either you buy the boat or not and if you buy it, either you complete the repairs in a good fashion or you do a bad job or you give up.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 14:12   #66

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

The flying in for a survey has flags in itself in todays situation. If the keels were driven through the hulls why waste money on a survey. The economics doesn't sound sound.
I hope this is a pipe dream and not an actually consideration.
There has been enough knowledgeable input about this being folly.
JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 14:18   #67
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
restoring hurricane damaged 40+ foot newer Catamaran

It’s the Lipari on sailboatlistings?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 14:50   #68

Boat: 1983 Cape Dory Cutter 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
MY WIFE JUST INFORMED ME....... I'M 51 TOO!
I spent the last over 4 years transforming my health, and this is me now as of a few days ago. I am never sick or weak, no aches ever, wake up easy after 4 hours (sometimes less) of sleep and go all 20 hours or so until I sleep again. Physically, I can outdo most people, including the 20-somethings who are athletic also, and am prepared for most anything anyone else could be. I really appreciate your vote of confidence and advice, plus appreciate your story. Thank you!

http://hayreport.com/1151-2
valleyweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 15:54   #69

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

It sounds like you've been working out. But your link doesn't show anything, just some page asking for sign in information.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:46   #70

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Hi, am looking at a "cheap" deal on hurricane damaged newer Catamaran.

I am "handy", own a 2004 sprinter van that I have lived in for 3+ years, work on everything mostly by myself, repairs, etc., can watch YouTube and find most instructions on how to move my hands and apply what is needed to repair stuff... blah blah blah

so the boat is priced at 1/3 of its restored value. Both keels were either broke loose or pushed into the hull, as this thing was blown from the dry dock stands. It has no water damage though, as in it was not submerged. It was demasted. It needs extensive fiberglass work. According to the seller, fiberglass repair is estimated at $20k, or $3k in materials and my work. I opt for my work and the $3k. There is a 5 year old mast available from a similar boat for $20k. There is some inside damage, damage to roof from falling mast, lifelines damaged, diesel motors work good, a/c and electrical/ electronics all work good. windlass, chain, anchor ~ good condition.

Any advice? In these current times, there is not much else to do but to try and turn this back into a useable boat.

I can live on the boat while fixing according to the seller.

Thanks!
Unless you are a trained shipwright with decades of experience, and have a couple of years to spare, do not consider it, imo...
Old 06-04-2020, 07:42   #71

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Unless you are a trained shipwright with decades of experience, and have a couple of years to spare, do not consider it, imo...
Personally I find these generalizations troubling. If it takes twenty or thirty years to be competent in any trade or skill a person is a very slow learner. Working with fiberglass or wood is not brain surgery. To me the challenge in this venture is keeping up with the storage and docking fees during and after the project is completed. Plus traveling and living costs. But, as always, good luck to the OP.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:50   #72

Are you going to live on the boat at a marina(in water or out) what costs will be associated with this or boat yard.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:01   #73

Quote:
Hi, am looking at a "cheap" deal on hurricane damaged newer Catamaran.

I am "handy", own a 2004 sprinter van that I have lived in for 3+ years, work on everything mostly by myself, repairs, etc., can watch YouTube and find most instructions on how to move my hands and apply what is needed to repair stuff... blah blah blah

so the boat is priced at 1/3 of its restored value. Both keels were either broke loose or pushed into the hull, as this thing was blown from the dry dock stands. It has no water damage though, as in it was not submerged. It was demasted. It needs extensive fiberglass work. According to the seller, fiberglass repair is estimated at $20k, or $3k in materials and my work. I opt for my work and the $3k. There is a 5 year old mast available from a similar boat for $20k. There is some inside damage, damage to roof from falling mast, lifelines damaged, diesel motors work good, a/c and electrical/ electronics all work good. windlass, chain, anchor ~ good condition.

Any advice? In these current times, there is not much else to do but to try and turn this back into a useable boat.

I can live on the boat while fixing according to the seller.

Thanks!
RUN! You are describing a total loss by the insurance company. The owner if that’s who you are really talking to is trying to make a quick buck by buying the boat back and selling it to you. This boat as you described has major structural damage and you will have to disclose this when you sell the boat. It won’t be worth anything if you do the repairs as you can’t validate it was done correctly.

You will also have to pay cash. This morning Wells Fargo announced they will not refi any houses over $510,000 unless you have $250,000 in liquid Assets!

There has been. Mahe 36 that has been for sale since the last hurricane in the BVI. That like 2 years ago. Still for sale now at $65.,000 ask.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:10   #74

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

I wouldn't take this project if the boat was free. I would imagine the crane rental fee for this project would be 20K. All I see is salvage in those pictures. Living in this boat and rebuilding it at the same time? I doubt your good health would continue . Checking in with you tubers for boat reconstruction lessons ??? If you finish this project you would be the go to guy on you tube for all boat projects ,be sure to start posting videos. A 40ft cat for you and your gf to sail on anywhere you want to go. Very cool... You must be a very wealthy man... At 50 plus years of age, time becomes more important than money .
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:12   #75

As I've read through the thread, it looks pretty consistent with other similar threads. OP wants confirmation of his decision to execute on a risky proposition.

Once he gets experienced advice, he defends his position to the point of nauseum...

Now, don't take my words the wrong way...There are many guys here, money or not, would love to find an easily repairable boat for super cheap and do the work ourselves so as to further reduce the costs and in the end have a seaworthy vessel that's worth far more than what we've invested in it. -- So we get it --

Now, here's my advice, with the limited boat repairing experience I have... Are you kidding me? $80k for a boat you need to put another $100k into by your likely too low estimate? Not for me, thanks...So, that's my financial advice...

Now, here's my other advice...Just do it...You've got this...You're a renaissance man with unparalleled skills...Be damned with the naysayers. They are mere fools that can only type words in a forum....Go sail the world in this fine vessel... But, please do me a favor...Please create a journal and share your experience with us....GOOD LUCK - Genuinely
Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, hurricane