Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2018, 17:42   #1

Retrofitting a lobster boat

Hi Cruisers!

Techie here. I am looking at downeasters for my first cruising boat, and have found an intriguing boat, a Maine built 28 foot lobster boat. She is 'yar' and fast for a lobsterboat (with good fuel economy for cruising) but she is a bit too spartan....compared to my beloved Lyman 28 Express Cruiser. I had two questions for the group:

1. The wheelhouse: Currently it has 2 side, fixed windows. Anyone have a sense of what one might budget to have a professional replace them with sliders? I'm in Boston, and it does get fairly warm in deep summer (and I like the breeze in my hair). Current setup is the first pic.

2. The interior. She has a hint of teak/wood goodness, but not as much as, say, a Limestone or a Cape Dory 28 Open. I know veneers can be ordered, but I have no idea what it might cost a professional to cut and install them. I am thinking of adding wood panels to the bulkhead next to the galley, adding wood panels to both walls of the head (1 side only) and adding fairing strips on both sides of the Vberth (basically replicating the Limestone interior). Current setup is in pictures 2 and 3. Again, anyone want to venture a guess of how much a professional might charge?

Sample of wood interiors I like:

Limestone 24 Express with Wood Upgrade:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200.../United-States

Cape Dory 28
http://www.sandyhookyachts.com/pre-o...632113/6632113

Odd questions, I know. But I want to install a bit more 'Hershoff' feel into this boat. Any feedback is appreciated as I wanted to get a sense of cost to mentally factor into my offer and/or long term upgrade budget.

Thank you!

Jen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AJ-28 Wheelhouse.jpg
Views:	1186
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	174400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Current AJ 28 Interior 2.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	174401  

Name:	Current AJ 28 Interior 3.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	174402  
TechieTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 02:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Retrofitting a lobster boat

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Techie.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 06:24   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I've run a lot of lobster boats, and had a 28' express cruiser (which I loved, BTW.)

What you've got there is a "lobster yacht." I love 'em. Great looks, great day boat, great for fishing or working, love the way they handle. But not always a great cruiser.

Too often, they lack what I call "living space." Do you have good berthing for yourself and an occasional visitor? Separate shower? Decent galley and a good place to sit and eat? Where do you "hang out" when it's raining? Comfortable seating? Good stowage for all the stuff you need when cruising?

A hard top over the cockpit helps, and some even add a flybridge.

Every boat is a compromise. You may have a different list of questions, based on how you plan to use the boat. I can only offer one opinion.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 09:42   #4

Thank you for the welcome, GordMay.

CaptTom, yes, this lobster boat is different. It actually is kitted out like an express cruiser on the inside. Full V Berth, Separate Head, Freshwater Sink and stove in a small galley. It is missing a fridge, which I may or may not install. Reminds me to check on fresh water capacity, thank you. I don't think the head has a shower, but I'm fine with a solar shower (I'm a former Peace Corps volunteer, I can take a full shower in a gallon of water). Boat will mostly be used for weekend trips, so I like the idea of a hardtop, and the builder actually builds racing lobsterboats (an oxymoron if I've ever heard one) so this hull is capable of cruising at 28+. I am thinking I may eventually build a full camper top for it.

It's got a bench abutting the transom, was thinking of adding onto it to make a 'slide out' bed for those warm weather nights.

Who knows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TransomBenchToBend.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	174444  
TechieTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 12:10   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

28+ what, knots?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 13:47   #6

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Sounds sweet, and perfect for your planned use. I like the idea of a full camper enclosure (or hardtop) for the cockpit. The traditional lobster boat hull is a semi-displacement. The larger hulls handle heavy seas pretty well, although the lighter ones can be pretty lively. They all can be a wet ride, although well-placed spray strakes help a lot. 28 knots isn't unheard-of. But it should still be pretty efficient near hull speed.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 09:01   #7

Very COOL boat!! Go for it!!

What kind of engine?
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 09:48   #8

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

You started out with questions about professional glass and woodwork installation. The best way to get a realistic answer to that question is to get a quote from a commercial boatyard. What you will find, of course, is that professional finish work is very expensive. That is why most rebuilding of older boars is done by the owner. That clearly presumes that the owner has the skill, patience, and time to take on such projects.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 09:58   #9

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

It's a beautiful boat and well thought out. Leave it alone.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 10:21   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
Hi Cruisers!

Techie here. I am looking at downeasters for my first cruising boat, and have found an intriguing boat, a Maine built 28 foot lobster boat. She is 'yar' and fast for a lobsterboat (with good fuel economy for cruising) but she is a bit too spartan....compared to my beloved Lyman 28 Express Cruiser. I had two questions for the group:

1. The wheelhouse: Currently it has 2 side, fixed windows. Anyone have a sense of what one might budget to have a professional replace them with sliders? I'm in Boston, and it does get fairly warm in deep summer (and I like the breeze in my hair). Current setup is the first pic.

2. The interior. She has a hint of teak/wood goodness, but not as much as, say, a Limestone or a Cape Dory 28 Open. I know veneers can be ordered, but I have no idea what it might cost a professional to cut and install them. I am thinking of adding wood panels to the bulkhead next to the galley, adding wood panels to both walls of the head (1 side only) and adding fairing strips on both sides of the Vberth (basically replicating the Limestone interior). Current setup is in pictures 2 and 3. Again, anyone want to venture a guess of how much a professional might charge?

Sample of wood interiors I like:

Limestone 24 Express with Wood Upgrade:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200.../United-States

Cape Dory 28
http://www.sandyhookyachts.com/pre-o...632113/6632113

Odd questions, I know. But I want to install a bit more 'Hershoff' feel into this boat. Any feedback is appreciated as I wanted to get a sense of cost to mentally factor into my offer and/or long term upgrade budget.

Thank you!

Jen
I'm sure vanity improvements the seller could care about. Looks like a nice interior.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 11:54   #11

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'm sure vanity improvements the seller could care about. Looks like a nice interior.
I think the point is what the buyer (i.e. the OP) cares about.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 12:01   #12

The boat may not handle to your liking if it has the flat hull, and not the v-shaped hull. I like the idea of extending the top to provide a sunshade. I would enclose the cockpit with glass doors. I would add opening hatches over each helm seat for ventilation. Good luck.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 12:11   #13

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

That is a very nice lobster yacht as is..... but,if you feel you need more,have a look at "picnic boats" for ideas.
Any Maine boatbuilder can source the sliding windows you desire & quote you on other modifications.
Google Points East magazine & others for a list of boatbuilders/suppliers to the lobster industry.
Len

Downeast Style Boats - A comprehensive website for downeast style boats, downeast boats for sale, with model overviews and a complete listing of downeast boat manufacturers
Old 28-07-2018, 16:08   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I actually like that level of finish. Just enough wood to look good but not overwhelming on maintenance.

Who built it? How about an outside picture?
Old 28-07-2018, 16:13   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have yet to find a fast planing boat that won’t roll your guys out and will track well when going hull speed.
Are Lobster boats different in that regard?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat