Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2024, 08:36   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: "Rope Tidy Bags"

Some good options above, and I have had both manufactured and home-sewn bags on prior boats.

On my current boat these worked out better. because of limited space and because the tails were generally small. In this case, a reacher furler. I like them because they are very low profile, don't snag, and can lean against the. United Yacht Manufacturing, about $8. No holes, they attach with VHB tape. I like that too. If you clean the surface properly they aren't coming off, yet they are not hard to remove with sharp drywall knife.

Old 28-06-2024, 23:26   #17

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

What about bicycle bags? (I wonder how long they would last?)

Waterproof Bike Bicycle Rear Rack Pannier Bag Back Seat Saddle Carry Bag Carrier

AU $15.85

Two for $A15.85

Features

Waterproof, Water Resistant

Colour: BLACK

Material: Canvas, Fabric

Dimensions: 31.5 X 23 X 16CM

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/37490929...EAAOSwzfljb15F

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2024, 23:44   #18

Other types of bicycle bags sold on eBay

https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Canvas-Bic...33/bn_99664142
Old Yesterday, 14:33   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The bike bags are probably heavy nylon. The tropical sun will deteriorate them. I would avoid nylon like the plague. My experience with it is that it doesn't last as long as the spinnaker weight dacron thread I used to sew it with. This was for a reefing windscoop, not rope bags, but if I'm going to make it, I mostly don't want to have to remake it every 4 years. Ymmv. I would make them from acrylic canvas, and they will protect the tails of the lines from uv, and tidy up the cockpit, too. They wind up being washable, and you can hose them out if need bee; and they are machine washable, also.

Ann
Old Yesterday, 16:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The bike bags are probably heavy nylon. The tropical sun will deteriorate them. I would avoid nylon like the plague. My experience with it is that it doesn't last as long as the spinnaker weight dacron thread I used to sew it with. This was for a reefing windscoop, not rope bags, but if I'm going to make it, I mostly don't want to have to remake it every 4 years. Ymmv. I would make them from acrylic canvas, and they will protect the tails of the lines from uv, and tidy up the cockpit, too. They wind up being washable, and you can hose them out if need bee; and they are machine washable, also.

Ann

Ann

They are supposed to be made of "canvas" (Did you see the link?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 07-50-02 Waterproof Bike Bicycle Rear Rack Pannier Bag Back Seat Saddle.png
Views:	9
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	291507  
Old Yesterday, 18:45   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

No, I did not look at the link. They so often don't tell you what kind of canvas. I have a cotton canvas bag made from Mexican canvas; that started life as a sort of sling, for carrying driftwood for beach fires, later I laced up the sides, and finally, I put zips in the sides to replace the laces. I made it in 1987, iirc, and it has held up well, although getting a little tired and stained in the intervening 37 yrs., but it is stored out of the sun.

Canvas, generally, is a tightly woven, fabric, commonly from cotton, linen, or hemp. Sunbrella - a trade name - is woven from acrylic fibers, which offer the longest lasting UV protection of all the fabrics I've worked with. For rope bags, it works well. It IS vulnerable to chafe, and so I had an adventure with WeatherMax, but it is only guaranteed for 5 years, whereas acrylic canvas is good for 10 to 20 yrs (for the royal blue color which used to be so common for mainsail covers, prior to the popularity of roller furling). I was disappointed in how soon the WM got fragile, and with the dark red, how soon it turned what was to me an ugly, greyish color. The grey WM, fades lighter grey, and was only fragile. [I made dinghy chaps from it., then a boom bag and weather cloths. Meanwhile the burgundy acrylic stayed the right color. ] Since then, Jim & I made grey chaps for our dinghy's new tubes, out of Sunbrella that I got at a very good price.

Anyhow, I hope you find something that pleases you.

Ann
Old Yesterday, 19:20   #22

Hi Ann

The fact they say it is "canvas" doesn't mean much to me as there are many eBay sellers who will stretch the truth.

I reported just one of the sellers to eBay for calling a battery "Genuine replacement battery for Hitachi" when it wasn't a Hitachi battery at all.

Surprise! Surprise! NOT ONE of the sellers of replacement batteries were using the word "genuine" after that. Full marks to eBay,

Tags
rope