Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2009, 21:30   #1

Boat: in process of selecting and buying
Rotten Floor and Support Boards Heritage 36

I am new with this forum but have a Heritage West Indies 36 with damage to the flooring and the support boards the floor is supported by from rainwater during dry storage. at one time the entire floor had maybe 1/2 inch water before being discovered and removed. Since the water was not discovered 70% of the flooring will need replaced and the support boards. has anyone experience with this type or replacement. thanks in advance.
Stoney
coastwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 11:06   #2

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastwatcher View Post
I am new with this forum but have a Heritage West Indies 36 with damage to the flooring and the support boards the floor is supported by from rainwater during dry storage. at one time the entire floor had maybe 1/2 inch water before being discovered and removed. Since the water was not discovered 70% of the flooring will need replaced and the support boards. has anyone experience with this type or replacement. thanks in advance.
Stoney
That's a good question. One option is to replace like with like, whatever that is. Another option is to update as you go along. For instance you could use something like nidacore. The weight savings should be fairly substantial.

As for the support boads, that is a bit trickier since there is more than one way so photos would be helpful.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 09:25   #3

Rotten floors

Maren, thanks I did download copy of the USCG wooden vessel repairs etc,has good advice. I have to open up more floloring to see how the supports are attached to the hull and the extend of wood decay.I will post progress as this is a major impact on my decision to proceed with negoiations on purchase of this vessel or pass and move on in search of the boat I want.
regards, Stoney
Old 23-05-2009, 09:37   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's your money, coastwatcher, and your choice. But with all the vessels on the market these days, there are bound to be better ones available without problems like these. Try to be patient, do your homework and search thoroughly. Your boat is out there somewhere - don't leave her at the altar just because you've had your head turned by some easy floozie with a life-threatening disease who can be had cheaply.

TaoJones
Old 23-05-2009, 10:31   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Tao,

LOLOLOLOL.....always the poet......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 20:00   #6

rotten floor

TAO,
Thank you, good advice I can work on about anything mechanical and electrical the West Indies has some good points but the extent of repairs is pushing my interest away from that boat. Being I am a pay as you go guy ( cash only transaction no loan planned for purchase) I am keeping with a budget for the purchase/project boat with open eyes and trying to not to make a choice on price alone where I spend all summer in the yard. I have looked at a 28 foot morgan and a 28 foot islander both modest in price with good points for each except i insist on having no gas inboard as main engine.
regards,
Stoney
Old 23-05-2009, 20:42   #7

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastwatcher View Post
Maren, thanks I did download copy of the USCG wooden vessel repairs etc,has good advice.
regards, Stoney
Can I ask where you downloaded this?

Good Luck in your quest!
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 20:54   #8

Their is a link here on this site from one of the members working with wood interiors, sorry but i forgot which one it was.
Stoney
Old 23-05-2009, 21:05   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
Can I ask where you downloaded this?

Good Luck in your quest!
Extemp.
Go to USCG: NVIC 1990s and look for year 1995. Guidance on Inspection, Repair and Maintenance of Wooden Hulls is number 07-95 and is a downloadable pdf file.

TaoJones
Old 23-05-2009, 21:34   #10

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Go to USCG: NVIC 1990s and look for year 1995. Guidance on Inspection, Repair and Maintenance of Wooden Hulls is number 07-95 and is a downloadable pdf file.

TaoJones
Thanks!

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote