Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2023, 09:20   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
Rub Rail - Replacement

Our 1985 Kaufman 47 needs something done with the rub rail. Repairing it is not an option. It is currently constructed of wood (species unknown) with a SS cap. It's trapezoidal in shape, roughly 1.5" high, 2.25" deep, and about 40 feet each side with three scarfs. It's attached to the hull using SS #10 screws. Replacing it with teak will be prohibitively expensive.

I'm thinking of using HDPE lumber if I can find a source for the raw material. I'll probably have to machine 2x4s or 4x4s to match what we currently have.

I'm open to comments and suggestions. Prior first-hand experience is most welcome.

Thank you.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:30   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Rub Rail - Replacement

Do you want to get rid of it? or replace it with another wooden one?

The plastic will avoid maintenance, possibly better withstand some impact there, but will not have the look of wood, with these measures the teak can be an option.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

Repairing it is not an option. Replacing it with teak will be prohibitively expensive.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:49   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Look for HDPE or PVC rub rail for commercial lobster/fishing boats.
Start here @ Hamilton: https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/depa...CDO%7CRUB.html

Taco Marine of Fla. used to be a mfgr/supplier,but their website only shows light duty yachty stuff at present. I know the shape you describe(trapezoidal) is still used by Maine/downeast /Nova Scotia workboats.
Hope this helps/Len

Found this under PVC Toerail :https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/prod...ail-44415.html

https://www.integritymarinecorp.com/toe-and-spray-rails
Old 12-06-2023, 11:58   #5

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Some ideas:
https://goodoldboat.com/toe-rail-replacement/

You could use "plastic patio decking boards".

Personally-I would use 6061 marine aluminum,rather than SS. Much easier to work with & strong enough. You can use standard woodworking tools- skilsaws,jig saw,router,etc & it drills like cheese. Tons of it used on workboats up here.
It shines up nice too.

Cheers/Len
Old 12-06-2023, 13:18   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Or a preformed, extruded toe rail. There's a couple companies that make it.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 13:59   #7

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I used a Barbour #r1015 with stainless caps on my Saga 43. A little over $1,000, a little over 200 lb. Very happy, although I wish the profile stood a little farther out. It has been on the boat 3 years and 7,000 NM.

Google will get you the product straightforward.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 08:06   #8

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

Why do you say that teak is prohibitively expensive? For a rub rail of the size you describe in your initial post you're looking at about 25 board feet of teak. 6/4 rough teak goes for about $45 per board foot which puts it in the $1,100 range - which is close to what sailingharry paid for his Barbour plastic rubrail.

I've never used a plastic rubrail, so I can't comment on those. I know that a wood rubrail can be tapered fore and aft, and repaired easily (I just repaired mine by scarfing a piece to repair a portion that was beat up by the dock during a winter storm).
Old 13-06-2023, 08:24   #9

Boat: Columbia 36

If you want the look of real teak, try Ipe. Looks and acts like teak and may be a little harder. If you see a park bench that looks like teak, it's probably Ipe. There are other species that will work too, check a local hardwood supplier.
Synthetic deck boards are a good choice too. The ones I've worked with were extremely hard and impact resistant but more difficult to cut and drill. You'll have to shop around though, many brands are hollow or have cut outs on the back side which would make for a lot of waste cutting around them. You want straight rectangular like a real wood board.
I replaced a lot of the exterior teak on one of my boats with Plasteak which is recycled polyethylene. It looked pretty good but IMO is too soft for a rub rail.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 08:29   #10

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

The "lumber grade" HDPE you may be considering is a bit soft, IMHO, for rubrail use.. A couple of pilings or a concrete lock wall will bang, scratch and smoosh it up right quick.

That being said.....
You might find board stock......somewhere. it's available in colors. I have companionway hatch doors made from 1/2" sheet stock in dark cedar brown. Has held up well over the past 9 years; but it's not subject to the same wear and tear.

Anecdotally....
Dimensional stock usta be used for decking and outdoor furniture. The decking products were only marketed for a couple years due to dissatisfaction due to gouging and slipperiness.

HTH
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 12:56   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

I looked for years for a replacement to my wooden rub rails. It drove me crazy repairing & replacing sections. Varnishing every year was also a royal PIA, until I meet Alan Ray from Rubrails.com. He was able to find my exact profile & had it shipped to me in 40’ sections. That was maybe 15 years and they still look new. It’s nice to have one continuous piece on each side. He also sold me the solid stainless pieces for the center at a great discount from others. I have raved about Alan before on this forum and I’m not affiliated with his company in any way. He’s in Ft Lauderdale and can be reached at 954-729-4154.
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men