Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2017, 08:44   #1

Rub Rail supplier search

I have a project on Columbia 39 equipped with a 3"x 5/8" thick white rub rail. Rubber substance with small track top and bottom. It is in bad shape and looking for replacement of original rail or close.
I have checked archives and many suppliers and still have not found close match. Any suggs is appreciated.
Thanks
dtrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 17:57   #2

Boat: 44 footer
Re: Rub Rail supplier search

I'd check to see if Barbour plastics has anything similar... https://www.integritymarinecorp.com/all-inventory

Otherwise I am a fan of the 3 inch hard plastic D shaped rub rails... More slippery than eel snot on a piling.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 10:09   #3

Thanks Zach,
I have thought about changing to HDPE or PVC lumber and little router work around the edges for eye appeal. However, I do have a concern. How will I finish out the corner pcs. as in pic they are raw aluminum and aging as well.

It may be that I can clean them up if not glued with auto trim glue also. Open for any suggestions, Thanks dtrue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Columbia 39 022.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	147897  
Old 16-05-2017, 11:07   #4

Boat: J/42

Check Taco Marine to see if it fits one of their patterns.

The corner pieces are probably boat-specific. There has been a lot of talk (but AFAIK no action) on the Ericson forums about getting molds made using pieces from similar boats for either re-casting or fiberglass replication, or in this day and age, maybe 3D printing.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 13:36   #5

Thanks Toddster,
You have given me a great idea. I found a rub rail that is very close. I have wasted too much time on the searching and phone calls to purchase corner pcs and front with no avail. Even extrusion companies for pewter molding.

I will pull the corners next weekend and see if I can do a bust, and mold it, gel coat it, and pull new corner for trimming the new corners out of fiberglass.

They should not ever get hit on stern, not so sure about front for its life but I'll have a mold for another. Haven't done casting in a while. It'll be fun. and out of the sunshine. Thanks dtrue
Old 16-05-2017, 14:06   #6

Boat: J/42

The originals on our boats were cast aluminum, coated in some kind of rubber. They tend to corrode away on saltwater boats, but are pretty well intact (except for the coating) after 40 years on freshwater boats. Just have to guard against pilferage from other Ericson owners

My boat has been hit at the bow and the stern multiple times, (it sticks out of the slip about two feet) but somehow, they never seem to hit the rubrail. Or maybe they do, but it doesn't leave a mark.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 21:07   #7

Hi Toddster,
Just landed near Waco for fuel. I am going down now. I can't wait to grab those stern corners and bow piece bring em back in morning. "Thanks Dad for the Ceasna. RIP
Toddster you've been great help as well as Zach. Thank you both, dtrue

Tags
arc