Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2023, 16:51   #1

Boat: 38" Sailboat
Rubio Monocoat for the Interior and Exterior

Does anyone have any experience using Rubio Monocoat either on the exterior or the interior as a finish for teak? While I expect it should be fine on the inside, I am wondering how it wears outside, dealing with rain, UV from the sun and the salt air, so wondered if anyone has tried it, and if so where is there boat located, and how has it stood up both the good and the bad, and what kind of maintenance it has required.

It seems to have a lot of benefits maintenance wise over varnish and other finishes commonly used, along with looking a lot nicer, though that's more a personal choice. While there is lots of information on it as a finish for floors or furniture, I haven't found much about it being used as a marine finish on boats for teak.

I am currently doing some tests, with several pieces of teak, one outside and one inside where two coats of Rubio Monocoat have been applied. Unfortunately it might take several years to get a real idea of how it's going. to work. For outside application, in addition to using two coats, I would probably also add a protective coat of nanofinish, however I don't have any for my current samples.
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 17:36   #2

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'
Re: Rubio Monocoat for the Interior and Exterior

I am curious to see how this turns out, please do post pics.
Old 14-07-2023, 13:24   #3

Boat: 38" Sailboat

Here are a couple of images, one is for a piece that will be outside in the elements, the other which will be kept inside, and not exposed to UV. The piece that is outside is not done with the exterior Rubio Monoplex, but with interior so it could be impacted more from the UV. I will try and add some updated images as it weathers.

Exterior

Interior
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 09:55   #4

I’m a big fan of Rubio monocoat for interior wood and have done a complete house floor and several rooms. I would be interested to know the results. The only interior issue I can see would be the natural oiliness of teak inhibiting the curing process. Outdoors will be a challenge.

Keep us informed.
Senojev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior