Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2018, 12:37   #1

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'
Running Propane lines.

My boat came with a Propane Two burner stove, with oven. As well as a Cozy Cabin Force 10 Propane heater, and Force 10 BBQ in the cockpit. The BBQ could use some work, but the others are great.

The issue is that all of them run on the small handheld bottles. I'm constantly buying them, and know that I can at least partially refill them myself.

However for longer trips. I'd like to have a couple of 5gal or bigger bottles off the transom, or cockpit. Something I can easily shut off at one location, and refill enough for weeks or months even.

The question is. If I want to be Cooking on the Grill, Baking or boiling on the stove and/or running the heater at the same time.. Should I use a higher pressure line, such as these?

I'm having trouble finding 3 way tapered T's as well. To run a low pressure regulator to each appliance.

Is this not the way to do this??

M.B. Sturgis Inc. 3/8" ID High Pressure Propane Gas Hose (12 Feet) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKQNDQG..._3Lh8Bb1TPYG35
Old 17-11-2018, 12:47   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Running Propane lines.

Vance,

What we did was take the specs for each propane appliance to a good Propane Gas reseller and have them size and make-up the lines, regulator manifold and assemblies we needed- all appropriate grade for marine use. They even leak tested their assemblies before we took posession. [That way we only have to leak test our new connections after the install...]

You may have to clue them in on your boat's propane design constraints like 'conduit IDs' where you have to run the hose inside the boat, estimated hose lengths, bulkhead fittings to prevent hose chafe, electric solenoid valve and the desire to have each line a home run from the source to the appliance. Outside of these boat specific considerations, the right gas shop will do a great job for you. [They typically have everything in stock...]

Ours ended up being cheaper [~30% compared to online pricing] than if we spent the time and sourced/assembled everything ourselves. [Not including oour time...]

In case this is of interest to you.

Cheers! Bill
Old 17-11-2018, 13:35   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Storing those 1lb. propane bottles inside the boat is a safety hazard. They are leak prone and even more so after being re-filled as they were never designed or intended for that. I suspect that you need to read up on safe propane installations on boats and installation of propane appliances.
Old 17-11-2018, 13:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Vance,

What we did was take the specs for each propane appliance to a good Propane Gas reseller and have them size and make-up the lines, regulator manifold and assemblies we needed- all appropriate grade for marine use. They even leak tested their assemblies before we took posession. [That way we only have to leak test our new connections after the install...]

You may have to clue them in on your boat's propane design constraints like 'conduit IDs' where you have to run the hose inside the boat, estimated hose lengths, bulkhead fittings to prevent hose chafe, electric solenoid valve and the desire to have each line a home run from the source to the appliance. Outside of these boat specific considerations, the right gas shop will do a great job for you. [They typically have everything in stock...]

Ours ended up being cheaper [~30% compared to online pricing] than if we spent the time and sourced/assembled everything ourselves. [Not including oour time...]

In case this is of interest to you.

Cheers! Bill
Awesome advice Bill!

I have been planning to do it all myself. However your thoughts might change my mind.

I have been thinking a lot about the fittings for the stove which is Gimbled, and both of the outside through decks.

Thanks for the reply Bill!
Old 17-11-2018, 15:40   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I'll be taking Bill's advice too.

In Australia I would have to get a qualified (ticketed) tradesman to do the installation. That person would provide a certificate to say the installation was done according to regulations and most marinas in Australia would require that certificate be produced before the vessel could be penned.

I most certainly will be installing a bilge blower and alarm as well.

Clive
Old 17-11-2018, 16:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I'll be taking Bill's advice too.

In Australia I would have to get a qualified (ticketed) tradesman to do the installation. That person would provide a certificate to say the installation was done according to regulations and most marinas in Australia would require that certificate be produced before the vessel could be penned.

I most certainly will be installing a bilge blower and alarm as well.

Clive
I've never heard of a marina asking to see a gas certificate!

However, in Queensland you were required to show a gas certificate to register a new boat, or for a new registration of an old boat. But I'm under the impression this isn't the case any more.

For my installation, the gas fitter was happy for me to "rough in" the chemlag copper pipe, which saved a couple of hours labour, then he came and installed all the connections, valves, T junctions etc.

He also provided the certificate, which I picked up just prior to registering the boat. BTW, back then a gas certificate was only good for one month!
Old 17-11-2018, 16:38   #7

Propane is very serious business on a boat. I have seen a boat explode from a gas leak, it was a terrifying thing to see.

ALL propane tubing inside the boat should be made of one length of copper tubing. NO joints inside the hull, all tees and other connections are inside the propane locker, which vents overboard. The only exception is the rubber tubing to connect to a gimbaled appliance (like the stove) or a removable one (like the grill).

The rubber tubing should either have an expiration date on it, or be tagged with the date of installation so you know to replace it after 7 years. The alternative to a scheduled replacement is to keep using it until it leaks, your boat blows up, and you die.

DO NOT take shortcuts, and DO NOT do this yourself if you do not understand ALL of the safety features you need to have. And DO NOT use those camping gas bottles inside your boat!
Old 17-11-2018, 16:47   #8

We also have a gas detector low in the hull where the gas system is, which will automatically shut the solenoid operated supply valve at the tank in the event it sniffs propane.

John McEnroe
Old 17-11-2018, 16:51   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
The alternative to a scheduled replacement is to keep using it until it leaks, your boat blows up, and you die.
It has been statistically proven that 97% of people who get out of bed in the morning will ..... eventually die.
Old 17-11-2018, 17:49   #10

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I've never heard of a marina asking to see a gas certificate!
Gas installations on marine craft - esv.vic.gov.au

1 This document is concerned with the installation and inspection of gas appliances and gas installations on marine craft. It is written in general terms and should
https://www.esv.vic.gov.

Electrical, Gas and Insurance Requirements - Department of Transport

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/marine/MAC_G_ElectGasInsurance.pdf
We expect that most boats that have been professionally constructed and that have ... The owner of a vessel using a DoT facility needs to provide proof of compliance with electrical and gas .... Written certification of compliance as issued by a.

Victorian government hits interstate boaters with stupid gas ... - Mysailing

www.mysailing.com.au/.../victorian-government-hits-interstate-boaters-with-stupid-ga...
Aug 13, 2014 - My yacht came from Queensland with a Gas System Compliance Certificate ... and if I want insurance (have to as its moored in a marina) I have to now get it ... of a Victorian ESV Inspector to get a Victorian compliance plate.

LPG Compliance | Sailing Forums, page 1 - Seabreeze

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Sailing/General/LPG-Compliance?page=1
Sep 24, 2015 - 31 posts - ‎14 authors
Lpg Compliance and other sailing discussion in the Seabreeze general forums, ... Currently in at the marina to have a gas sniffer fitted. ... Gas fitter now tells me, "no blower - no compliance, no compliance - no insurance".
Old 17-11-2018, 18:05   #11

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post

The alternative to a scheduled replacement is to keep using it until it leaks, your boat blows up, and you die.

DO NOT take shortcuts, and DO NOT do this yourself if you do not understand ALL of the safety features you need
Yup.

I had a minor propane leak on my boat (search for my thread on the subject if you’re interested), and didn’t fix it promptly.

Sorry, the boat didn’t blow up and I’m not dead. I managed to fix it early this season and all is good.

NOT minimizing the risks of propane, but the reactions of some people on this board at the very mention of the word get in the way of serious discussion.
Old 17-11-2018, 18:07   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

As a temporary measure in the US west marine and other stores sell refillable one pound bottles and a transfer fitting. Then you can buy a big refillablentank and store in on deck somewhere. I use these for my outside grill and refill from my spare main tank. Also I store the small bottles in a lifeline mounted bag that a friend made for me.
Old 17-11-2018, 18:12   #13
Marine Service Provider

I do a presentation at various marine venues entitled "Marine Survey 101". Among my show and tell exhibits is a 3-pack of 1lb. propane bottles, all unused and all empty. Outside the rails is the only place to store those things.
Old 17-11-2018, 18:41   #14

The Cozy Cabin heater is the only one that I know has an automatic shut off. The Stove might, but I don't know.

Obviously the grill doesn't matter.

The plan has been to use high end fittings and Rubber hoses. Most of which will be mostly immobilized other then the stove's Gimble.

The fact is, that I currently leave those tiny bottles on the stove, and grill. I've not used the heater at all.

Once I get south of California, I doubt I'll really need that heater at all.

However,..If I had a large bottle outside. I'd only have it open while using it. Just like my Yard Grill. There is no reason to keep the system open when not in use.
Old 17-11-2018, 18:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Yup.

I had a minor propane leak on my boat (search for my thread on the subject if you’re interested), and didn’t fix it promptly.
It's true what they say: God protects drunks, fools, and little children.
Closed Thread

Tags
propane