Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2014, 17:43   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Rust bubbles, penetrating epoxy, and acid etching of steel hull

No info, but ....man, I feel your pain!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 17:57   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I made a long post above about sandblasting, painting, then blisters.

We splashed the boat and she was in the water for about 10 weeks.

When hauled I now have areas on the hull with small, dime size blisters.

Clearly some osmotic process as they have water in them.

Drives me crazy. Most of the hull is fine, but there a few areas where these buggers are. And the odd one here or there.

Very discouraging to go through the whole blasting, painting process and not have it 100% successful.

Plus now, once I strip and repaint these areas, I'll want to pull her again in three months time to see if they have come back yet again.

Piss.
I stumbled across this old thread and a post of mine where I had a mystery. I believe the mystery is now solved. So here is my update in case anyone else stumbles across this thread.

All of the above mentioned painting, and far too much more, was done at a marina a few miles down wind of a refinery. My theory is that some smoke stack contamination was getting on the boat and messing up the epoxy.

There were some largish areas where I sanded off the paint and reapplied only to have it blister yet again and again.

For other reasons I moved the boat to a different yard, very far away. The blisters came back but on e i repainted in the new location they have stayed away.

The smokestack pollution was sometimes visible on our decks.

So my theory is that some kind of crap from the refinery was messing with the epoxy. When I repainted at the new location it went well.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 11:57   #33

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I stumbled across this old thread and a post of mine where I had a mystery. I believe the mystery is now solved. So here is my update in case anyone else stumbles across this thread.

All of the above mentioned painting, and far too much more, was done at a marina a few miles down wind of a refinery. My theory is that some smoke stack contamination was getting on the boat and messing up the epoxy.

There were some largish areas where I sanded off the paint and reapplied only to have it blister yet again and again.

For other reasons I moved the boat to a different yard, very far away. The blisters came back but on e i repainted in the new location they have stayed away.

The smokestack pollution was sometimes visible on our decks.

So my theory is that some kind of crap from the refinery was messing with the epoxy. When I repainted at the new location it went well.
Ash can be alkaline and oxides if reacted with water acidic so..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy, hull, steel, steel hull