Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2020, 21:09   #16

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Rust on windlass electric motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharney View Post
Maxwell recommends coating the motor and other below deck components with lithium grease to protect against corrosion. I use the grease in a spray can, many years and no corrosion.

Hi, I have had good results with lanocote.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 21:33   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
A genuine replacement motor cost $A1065 which I reckon is a bit costly.

But why couldn't one of these be fitted at a fraction of the price? Can anyone advise? (I assume being DC they would reverse?)

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/1200w-dc-motor.html
Most windlass motors can’t be reversed by simply reversing polarity. They have two positive and one neutral wire going into them and are reversed by switching the current from one positive to the other. Something to do with their being wound in series or parallel, which I think determines whether they will run at a constant speed as the load increases. Anyways , google reversing series wound dc motors and it will explain it. Also, make sure the motor is designed for continuous use. Car starter motors are not.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 21:55   #18

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
Most windlass motors can’t be reversed by simply reversing polarity. They have two positive and one neutral wire going into them and are reversed by switching the current from one positive to the other. Something to do with their being wound in series or parallel, which I think determines whether they will run at a constant speed as the load increases. Anyways , google reversing series wound dc motors and it will explain it. Also, make sure the motor is designed for continuous use. Car starter motors are not.
Also check wattage. Mine is 1700 watts. I have an old 2 wire motor. To make it reversing I bought a 4 wire solenoid that does the reversing internally
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 11:41   #19

Boat: Hylas 54

Thanks all fro great advice. I will see how my epoxy does and if it breaks down I will redo with one of your suggested methods. Key was that I had to use materials I had on board as I am in locked-down Antigua and did not have access to any additional materials. But when I am back close to a marine store I will try your recipes. Thanks to all.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 09:06   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Also check wattage. Mine is 1700 watts. I have an old 2 wire motor. To make it reversing I bought a 4 wire solenoid that does the reversing internally
Was the two wire motor a marine anchor windlass, or was it some other kind of motor? I have a Lofrens Cayman windlass with two wires and after much reading and emails to Lofrens, I decided it probably could not be reversed with a 4 wire solenoid. However , I would love to be proven wrong. Perhaps you could pm me so as not to hijack this thread. Thanks.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electric motor, motor, wind, windlass