Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 08:54   #1

Boat: Hylas 54
Rust on windlass electric motor

We have a Maxwell 2200 electric windlass. Working well, just stripped and greased. But the cover on the motor is VERY rusty. To the point where I am afraid it will be perforated if it rusts much further. Two years ago I removed the motor, wire brushed the rust and sprayed with about four coats of Rustoleum Paint but now it is back to flaky rust.

I am in Antigua on lockdown so commercial solutions are not an option. I was thinking of wirebrushing the casing again and then coating with clear West System Epoxy in an attempt to keep any moisture out. Any ideas, thoughts or alternatives?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	442.9 KB
ID:	212551  
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:08   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Rust on windlass electric motor

Can you takea multimeter and measure resistance between the negative power terminal and the metal housing. Also, post a picture of all the terminals.

I think you may have a galvanic corrosion problem. There should be no conductivity between the metal housing and any of the power terminals incl. the negative terminal.

Then for painting, do not use a wire wheel. A dremel with hard scotchbrite bit or the drum sander is the best tool. Get all corrosion off and next is the choice of primer. You need a good primer. I recommend Awlgrip CF washprimer. If you can’t get that then may be use Ospho or other rust converter, followed by a 2-component epoxy primer like Awlgrip 545, Interlux Protect2000 etc.

After installing the motor again, recheck with the meter. Also, check that you don’t have any bonding wires attached to the windlass, chain stopper, anchor roller or anything that can create a path from the anchor chain to your DC power system. You can measure with one meter probe on the chain and the other over the motor terminals etc.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 21:13   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

A genuine replacement motor cost $A1065 which I reckon is a bit costly.

But why couldn't one of these be fitted at a fraction of the price? Can anyone advise? (I assume being DC they would reverse?)

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/1200w-dc-motor.html
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 23:00   #4

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Can you takea multimeter and measure resistance between the negative power terminal and the metal housing. Also, post a picture of all the terminals.

I think you may have a galvanic corrosion problem. There should be no conductivity between the metal housing and any of the power terminals incl. the negative terminal.

Then for painting, do not use a wire wheel. A dremel with hard scotchbrite bit or the drum sander is the best tool. Get all corrosion off and next is the choice of primer. You need a good primer. I recommend Awlgrip CF washprimer. If you can’t get that then may be use Ospho or other rust converter, followed by a 2-component epoxy primer like Awlgrip 545, Interlux Protect2000 etc.

After installing the motor again, recheck with the meter. Also, check that you don’t have any bonding wires attached to the windlass, chain stopper, anchor roller or anything that can create a path from the anchor chain to your DC power system. You can measure with one meter probe on the chain and the other over the motor terminals etc.
Agreed it looks like a galvanic issue.
I assume the Windlass is not normally 'powered' when not in use. The Negitive power wire should also be disconnected. If you have a Relay a double pole relay, or simply use another relay, or battery switch.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:53   #5

Thank you for your ideas. I scraped off the paint and rust. Actually once clean it was not as bad as I first thought. No electrical connection between housing and any of the terminals. But I do generally leave the windlass circuit powered up when at anchor, which is pretty much all the time. I do this to allow quick operation if needed but maybe now I will cut the breaker. Terminals all in good shape, see pic.

As I had limited access to coating options (Antigua is closed) I used a wire brush and screwdriver to clean the casing, wiped with acetone and coated with two coats of West System Epoxy, which I had on board.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:00   #6

See pics of terminals before cleaning and housing with epoxy coating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	212625   Click image for larger version

Name:	EDE3FFE9-CBAF-4AAB-8EDD-C5CBBCA7E211.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	212626  

Old 12-04-2020, 05:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
Thank you for your ideas. I scraped off the paint and rust. Actually once clean it was not as bad as I first thought. No electrical connection between housing and any of the terminals. But I do generally leave the windlass circuit powered up when at anchor, which is pretty much all the time. I do this to allow quick operation if needed but maybe now I will cut the breaker. Terminals all in good shape, see pic.

As I had limited access to coating options (Antigua is closed) I used a wire brush and screwdriver to clean the casing, wiped with acetone and coated with two coats of West System Epoxy, which I had on board.
Looks good, but the epoxy will deteriorate. A Scotchbrite with plain water scrub of the finish will remove any amine blush and prep it for some spray paint.

Now here is the important bit: your breaker is in the battery positive, so turning that off like some suggest makes no difference. Your motor is good as you confirmed the negative terminal is insulated. Check between anchor chain and negative power lead and between windlass metal and negative power lead. Also, do a visual check for bonding wires. My boat should have been the ultimate done right but there was a bonding wire wreaking havoc so take a real close look. These things can also ruin anchor chain etc.

I have the Maxwell 3500 but think and assume your’s is the same. A real good upgrade would be a Blue Sea Systems ML solenoid in the negative power lead with the remote control switch in an easy to reach location.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:40   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Jedi, is the problem with using a wire wheel before painting its leaving too slick a surface for adhesion, or is there some other problem I have not thought of? I've heard the same advice before, but have not known the "why." Given a steel boat, I often face prepping a rusted surface, and a wire wheel is convenient. Would it work to use a wheel and then rough the surface with sand paper or Scotch Brite?
Old 12-04-2020, 07:02   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Jedi, is the problem with using a wire wheel before painting its leaving too slick a surface for adhesion, or is there some other problem I have not thought of? I've heard the same advice before, but have not known the "why." Given a steel boat, I often face prepping a rusted surface, and a wire wheel is convenient. Would it work to use a wheel and then rough the surface with sand paper or Scotch Brite?
Exactly. Primer adhesion is much less when using a wire wheel. A needle gun is very good. There’s also miniature grit blasters ($20 range) that work well on small spots.
Sanding also fixes the problem. Increase surface area
Old 12-04-2020, 08:46   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Thank you. I've learned something today.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:56   #11

Maxwell recommends coating the motor and other below deck components with lithium grease to protect against corrosion. I use the grease in a spray can, many years and no corrosion.
bharney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:52   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Too late now but would have used POR 15 paint. The stuff loves surface rust, is super hard, and easy to apply. Prep is knock off loose rust with a wire brush, spray with their surface prep and paint. Apply 2nd coat while first coat is still tacky. Once dry paint won't stick to it without sanding to give tooth to the surface. Use it on any rusty steel where salt water and other oxidizing agents eat normal paint.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:27   #13

Try ospho it soaks in turns oxide to phosphate. Then coat it.
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:27   #14

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

second vote for Ospho. Brush/scrape/sand off anything loose, spray or wipe on Ospho which chemically converts the oxide and stabilizes the surface, let dry overnight - paint. I have done several pump motors this way and it appears to work well (though only 1 1/2 yr f/u)
Old 12-04-2020, 20:20   #15

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

Hobie2: I have had very good results with the following. To remove the rust I use electrolysis: a container large enough to submerge the part / Some washing soda to make the water more conductive (NOT SALT) / A DC power source / a piece of scrap steel.
Dissolve a tablespoon or 2 of washing soda in enough water to cover the part. Connect the negative to the part & the positive to the scrap piece. Leave for 2-3 hours. Remove & check. rinse & wire brush or if it needs more try another hour. Once rinsed & wire brushed, make sure to dry thoroughly. You can now either re- galvanize or coat the part with equal parts of linseed oil & turpentine (not mineral spirits). Out in the sun to dry & when almost dry lay on another coat, repeat. I have mild steel components of my windcharger mount that I have treated this way that have stayed rust free for going on 7 years now. If you want to paint, use a good exterior oil base enamel.

Good overall info

Method I use
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electric motor, motor, wind, windlass