Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2007, 09:14   #1

Rustoleum

I was down at the boat yesterday and the owner of a big wooden powerbaot is painting his toerail and trim. I ask what he is using and he holds up a can of Rustoleum. He pointed to the front of his cabin at two panels about 2' x 3' painted white and angled toward the rising sun that looked great. Says he gets about 2 to 3 years out of it.

Has anybody tried this? It seams to work for him. What would you expect to happen to the finish? Have we all been sold a bill of goods by the marine paint companies?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:04   #2
cruiser

It works

Yup... it works. I used a spray can of white Rustoleum over the freshly welded, mild steel frame that holds my genset in place on deck.

2 years running and not a bit of rust. It's outside all day every day, although it has some shading from the cover that is over the genset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog
I was down at the boat yesterday and the owner of a big wooden powerbaot is painting his toerail and trim. I ask what he is using and he holds up a can of Rustoleum. He pointed to the front of his cabin at two panels about 2' x 3' painted white and angled toward the rising sun that looked great. Says he gets about 2 to 3 years out of it.

Has anybody tried this? It seams to work for him. What would you expect to happen to the finish? Have we all been sold a bill of goods by the marine paint companies?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote