Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2009, 04:55   #1

Rusty Engine

I'm new to this site and this is my first post so go easy on me! In addition, I'm new to sailing...yikes.

I'm looking at this 2002 Hunter 41 (Yanmar) boat to purchase. It seems like alot of rust for a 2002 boat. But I guess anything exposed to saltwater will start it's corrosion process no matter the year. The rust continues to the forwards mounts also.
I understand with just two pictures and limited info it may be difficult to analyze but what issues should I be concerned with using the assumption the initial cause has been repaired. In addition, what steps would one take to repair or replace. Or am I overly concerned about this? Thk Y.
[IMG]aolemb://EB5C60E0-2013-406B-AFFB-35E44F280EE1/100_1683.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]aolemb://B72B1C8B-2A96-4339-8F59-720DC8808CD4/100_1684.jpg[/IMG]
mat4033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 05:39   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The pics didn't come out but by your description the boat may have been sunk or partially sunk.
Old 21-08-2009, 05:46   #3

Rusty Engine

Thanks Rick,
I'm not sure why the pictures didn't post. They showed when I wrote the thread. I'll work on finding out how to post pictures.
Old 21-08-2009, 06:25   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
A 2002 engine should be immaculate. Mine is 1981 and if there is any rust on it it means I did not do my homework.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 07:09   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat4033 View Post
Thanks Rick,
I'm not sure why the pictures didn't post. They showed when I wrote the thread. I'll work on finding out how to post pictures.
The pictures are probably on your own PC. For them to be seen by anyone else, they need to be on the web. Lots of places will do that (e.g. photobucket) and there is even space within this web site to upload some photos.
Old 21-08-2009, 07:29   #6

Thanks Talbot, I did get them posted in the Photo Gallery under Yacht Main. "Rusty Engine". So I'm not sure if this will work or not.

Old 21-08-2009, 07:50   #7

Boat: Boatless
Last boat I saw with a rusted engine had sunk at the dock and the seller was trying to hide the fact.
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 08:35   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I love a mystery and a chance to throw out ideas. First, are all those pictures of the same boat, inside and out and hull? It doesn't look like a 2002 to me.
The tell tale sign to me is the stain marks on the exhaust hose. It appears to be a water level mark that looks to coincide with the level of rust stains considering the slant of the engine. This doesn't always mean the boat sunk. Leave a boat unattended long enough, a few good rain storms an open hatch and an inoperative bilge pump and this happens a lot. I would still be concerned enough to bring in an independent Yanmar pro to look at it. If it runs good it may just be a matter of a lot of cleaning and re-painting and a good negotiating price point. I would look very carefully throughout the boat especially below the waterline for any other corrosion in wiring etc.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 08:36   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
For it to rust like that I would say it's been underwater. Look for other signs of water, look behind settees, look at the wiring etc.
Old 21-08-2009, 08:45   #10

Thanks for the additional input. As for the pictures in the photo gallery, there are only two that are mine. The ones of the engine, apparently through my lack of knowledge on posting pictures I posted them with another persons pictures.
Old 21-08-2009, 12:40   #11

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
For it to rust like that I would say it's been underwater. Look for other signs of water, look behind settees, look at the wiring etc.
I am not so sure. Whilst my eyes are not what they used to be, when looking at the bigger pictures on the gallery, it appears that most of the rust is actually just on the mounting bolts and the shaft connector, + residue that thas spread from those sites.

I certainly would not trust the mounting plates, but suspect that new mountings, a de-rust and paint of the shaft connector, and a good clean with oxalic acid in the bay would make a big difference to the situation.

However, I would also look in all the dark areas for other evidence as stated above.
Old 21-08-2009, 14:55   #12
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I had a small leak in heat exchanger that sprayed saltwater over one side of the engine. Of course the side you don't see unless your laying on your back looking up through galley cupboard. It made a mess fast. In january I derusted uses the rust converter primed and painted. When I spied it a month later it was a heavily rusted mess. A small drip overhead will make a motor a mess in short order. If nothing else it shows a lack of maintenance as its my belief that treating all rust in engine compartment on a regular basis is a must.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 15:35   #13

Boat: Hunter 420
Very helpful info...Thank you. I'm talking with a Yanmar mechanic to check it for me. I'll post his finding after he checks it.
Old 02-09-2009, 14:15   #14

Boat: Privilege P43
Rusty Yanmars

I replaced two 3JH engines and gears with two new 4JH3E engines in my catamaran in spring of 2000. My bilges rarely have more than a half inch of water and there have been no leaks.

However, within 12 months, both oil pans had rusted out and were dripping oil into the bilge, both air silencers had rusted out (big problem given the interior had no coating), injector fuel pipes were rusting and the return lines were leaking or corroded/broke off at the injectors and the block was rusting everywhere the factory failed to get a good coat of paint on it.

So, your problem may be like mine - just that the factory failed to sufficiently paint it prior to shipping.

By the way, even though this occured well within the warranty period, neither Yanmar nor the distributor would consider replacement of any of those items.
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine