Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2008, 09:58   #1

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
S/L seatiger vs U.S. Customs

I am rebuilding an old beat up Simpson Lawrence Seatiger windlass. Unfortunatly it is almost impossible to get some of the parts here in the US. However, I did find a place in Scotland, SL Spares, they have everything I need. A very nice man that owns SL Spares by the way. The problem is that the stuff is being held up at the border pending an "Entry by Entry Statement of Non-Reimbursement of Anti-Dumping Duties" form, and approval. I have never heard of this, and certainly did not know how to fill the form out? I finally got through the form with somebody from FEDEX-Trade Networks. Evidently the word bushings triggered a response from the Customs people.. It appears they thought this stuff was coming in from China for resale, even though the invoice clearly says Scotland. I think I convinced them it was for personal use only and not for resale.. But what a dog and pony show to get to this point, I'm hoping the parts will come thru customs maybe tomorrow? Has anyone else ever had this problem..? All this for a small box of parts...
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 10:39   #2
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Mike View Post
I am rebuilding an old beat up Simpson Lawrence Seatiger windlass. Unfortunatly it is almost impossible to get some of the parts here in the US. However, I did find a place in Scotland, SL Spares, they have everything I need. A very nice man that owns SL Spares by the way. The problem is that the stuff is being held up at the border pending an "Entry by Entry Statement of Non-Reimbursement of Anti-Dumping Duties" form, and approval. I have never heard of this, and certainly did not know how to fill the form out? I finally got through the form with somebody from FEDEX-Trade Networks. Evidently the word bushings triggered a response from the Customs people.. It appears they thought this stuff was coming in from China for resale, even though the invoice clearly says Scotland. I think I convinced them it was for personal use only and not for resale.. But what a dog and pony show to get to this point, I'm hoping the parts will come thru customs maybe tomorrow? Has anyone else ever had this problem..? All this for a small box of parts...
Mike, I wish I had something more constructive to add. You are in over my head here.

However, you're getting GREAT training for getting parts when you break down in the Caribbean!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 10:48   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Evidently the word bushings triggered a response from the Customs people.. It appears they thought this stuff was coming in from China for resale, even though the invoice clearly says Scotland.
Dumping usually includes false documents. It's not like they tell the truth when they break the law. It says Scottland but it does not always mean that was where it originated. The cutoms people are getting a lot of heat to stop dumping. Giving you a hard time just lets them add one more shipment they checked. Some checks are random and some checks are targeted. You will never know which.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 11:16   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mike, I'd suggest contacintg US Customs and also contacting your local federal reps, i.e congresscritter's office. The smart ones will make a phone call to help a constituent who has a problem with federal bureaucracy. "Hello, this is Congressman Whoever's office, yeah, you're holding up a spare part for one of my voters, he's just trying to fix a boat." Sometimes that's all it takes.

Next time around, work with the sender before they fill out any paperwork. Often something generic and safe like "machine parts" or "farm equipment" or "trade samples" will go right through, while anything more specific that MIGHT be a problem, gets held up.

A friend of mine does customs paperwork in an entirely different field, he's learned that it doesn't matter what you are shipping--if you use the wrong word, it gets stopped or tariffed. Use another word (no lying needed) and it sails right through. Now...you may need divine intervention, which is what the CongressCritter can provide.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 11:20   #5

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Hellosailor,

I think you are 100% correct, the customs person said it was the word bushings that triggered all of this. I did talk with the guy in Scotland and let him know that. Next time...
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 11:56   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mike, be glad it didn't say "Aluminium tubing", DubYah and company would have sent the Marines to find out where your MWDs are.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 12:14   #7

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
PBlais: Was it "Scottland" (a country filled with fierce warriors / terrorists in kilts and skein dhu's (daggers in their socks)) that drew their attention? Or bush-ing's (this is an election year after all)?!

Either way another demonstration of bureaucracy run amok!

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 12:26   #8

Boat: Stevens 47
Good Luck with getting this resolved...talking of bureaucracy run amok check this out....I bought some navionics cards and a card reader along with the Fugawi software all from North Point in Canada...the makers of Fugawi...the whole package was held up by Customs for 2 weeks because...get this...because it was "electronic circuit boards" (Navionics cards) Customs would not release it without my SS number and my address etc etc....Now I ask you...WHY do they need my SS# to buy a product that is FREELY and readily available...wait...let me re-phrase that...a product that is MADE in the USA simply because I bought it in a different country?????....The response I got from Fedex to that question was that the US Government wanted to track any electronic circuit boards that entered the country JUST IN CASE they were used in making a bomb.....I never knew Navionics cards (which are just compact flash memory cards) were so amazingly versatile....and I HAVE to wonder what those wily canucks are doing to them to make them so dangerous!!!!....Lame in the extreme...Your Government at work...Yippee!

Tags
customs