Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2020, 10:34   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
Sail cloth question

I've got a choice between Bainbridge HSX (balanced) or Challenge Marblehead. The loft pushes the HSX due to "superior UV protection". I am bouncing this off you folks because this is the first time buying sails. If you are familiar with these cloths, which one would you choose for a spinnaker and staysail (if these cloths were your options)? The boat is a 37' Pacific Seacraft that will be sailed both coastal and bluewater. Thanks for any feedback.
Tiemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 12:22   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Sail cloth question

Spinnaker will not be made from either of the cloths you mention. They're usually made of .75 oz nylon. In San Diego, max UV protection sounds like a good idea.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 13:11   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

My bad, I meant to genoa. I've got an aysm I am keeping on the boat as it looks like it's hardly been used. I don't know if it is plitting hairs between Bainbridge Marblehead and Challenge HSX or not, hence the question.
Tiemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 14:33   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Marblehead is quite stiff, and I would not use it in a main that is reefed in slabs. But it is excellent in furling sails.

Looking at a sample of B HSX it feels much suppler at the same weight. So I would use this if the main is handled in slabs.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail