Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 17:26   #1

Sailboat dry 3 years; inspecting?

I am looking at buying a 26' sailboat, but it has been hauled out for three years. What are the special considerations as I inspect it this desiccated boat?

It has been on jacks in the back yard, no where near water. It is 43 years old.

Usually I look for wet soft spots, blisters, etc. But those signs will disappear if the boat has been drying in the sun for three years.

Plus the current owner has painted everything, inside and out. All the discoloration and stains would disappear.

Maybe this guy is completely honest. But I have been ripped off before. If I was going to sell a boat with structural problems, I would let it dry for years, and then paint the hell out of it.

Can anyone care to comment?
TOMMYKAY9483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 17:51   #2

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: Sailboat dry 3 years; inspecting?

Soft spots and blisters usually stay almost forever - they don't fix themselves. Anyway, a survayor can most probably find most of the issues - and if you read the ton of resources on inspecting an old boat, you can probably inspect yourself.
And a 43 years old 26' boat price is probably marginal to start with so your risk is somewhat reasonable.
Old 04-09-2020, 19:34   #3

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Agree with DeValency...blisters don't go away by themselves and are usually easy to spot with a visual inspection.

Soft spots in the hull can be found by pinging the hull and deck with a ball-peen hammer. Even if a soft spot has dried out, the rot has likely already occurred and you will hear a dull thud instead of a solid ping.

You didn't say what kind of boat it is (bolt on keel, swing keel, rudder type, etc) so can't be much more specific about that.

Check condition of sails. Check chainplates for rust.

You'll likely have to replace standing and running rigging.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
Even if a soft spot has dried out, the rot has likely already occurred and you will hear a dull thud instead of a solid ping.

Thanks, I haven't experienced that.

The rigging is 10 years old, so it needs to be replaced.

I appreciate your answer.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
And a 43 years old 26' boat price is probably marginal to start with so your risk is somewhat reasonable.

I agree. It's just that I have never inspected a boat that has been high and dry so long.

I'm grateful for your comments.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:46   #6

Look for hull indents/oil canning from the yard supports. If well done and sitting on it's keel these likely wont happen.
Sail are big ticket, so even if the boat is cheap, make sure you know what they are.
Tanks. Buried? Replaceable? may have corrosion or rust. Fuel may be bad.

If Inboard engine:
Can you turn the shaft? If you buy it I would inspect the shaft inside the stuffing box to make sure it's not badly corroded before paying for launch.
Can you rotate the engine? Not frozen?
Any sign of water inside the boat? Water line on cabinets?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Any sign of water inside the boat? Water line on cabinets?
Nope, because everything above the waterline, inside and out, had new paint slopped on it. Nothing repaired or sanded before paint. He painted over the hardware instead of removing it. (Even with new paint, it seemed dirty.)

The phrase "lipstick on a pig" kept coming to mind.

There was also fresh varnish, slopped onto the adjacent deck. I discovered a fragment of freshly varnished wood. I traced it back to a non-obvious part of the deck hatch, also freshly varnished. He said he was planning to fix it, but who repairs *after* they paint?

Anyway, I won't bore you with all other red flags.

Thanks for your good advice.

Tom
Old 06-09-2020, 07:37   #8

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMYKAY9483 View Post
Nope, because everything above the waterline, inside and out, had new paint slopped on it. Nothing repaired or sanded before paint. He painted over the hardware instead of removing it. (Even with new paint, it seemed dirty.)

There was also fresh varnish, slopped onto the adjacent deck. I discovered a fragment of freshly varnished wood. I traced it back to a non-obvious part of the deck hatch, also freshly varnished. He said he was planning to fix it, but who repairs *after* they paint?

Tom
Such boats can easily be found around in boatyards and Craigslist for almost nothing. I’m quite sure you can find some clean, well taken care of, boats for less than your overall cost to purchase and repair with this one.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:56   #9

Boat: 29 ft

So, it's a project to start with, right?

If there is fresh paint everywhere, there is very little you can see. Normally, you would inspect for cracks near load bearing points like chainplates and keel bolts, but if all has been painted freshly, you won't see anything. So - you have to assume, that there may be considerable work and even safety relevant issues hidden by all the fresh paint. Checking for this stuff will mean scraping away fresh paint and disassembling load bearing fittings ...

Besides hull, sails, engine, there are the spars that would also need checking.

A project. Is your hobby sailing or boat repairing?
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMYKAY9483 View Post

Tom
That's very suspicious. Look inside cabinets, under berths for evidence of a waterline.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Such boats can easily be found around in boatyards and Craigslist for almost nothing. I’m quite sure you can find some clean, well taken care of, boats for less than your overall cost to purchase and repair with this one.

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear. I wouldn't take this boat if it were free. God, no. Honestly, the guy seemed like a crook to me.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesti View Post
Normally, you would inspect for cracks near load bearing points like chainplates and keel bolts, but if all has been painted freshly, you won't see anything.

Exactly. And your comment about sailing versus boat repairing is right on the money.

Thanks to all who weighed in on this.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat