Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2019, 10:37   #1

Boat: Pearson 424
sailrite

I have been buying my cloth, foam, and hardware (including a sewing machine ) from Sailrite for a while, have spent thousands of dollars, new cushions, dodger, and just finished a sail pack for a 16 foot boom. I am not a seamstress in fact I am really an amateur when it comes to sewing but I am working thru it so I decided to try a 10 ft sail pack since I just did a 16 foot sail pack, I thought I knew what I was doing. for the 16 foot sail pack I did one side and had enough material to do the other side.

on the 10 foot sail pack I did the same thing finished the one side went to cut the other side and was missing enough material. turns out that they only sent 18 ft of material for a ten foot kit,I was short about a foot. I called them and they said I supposed to (nest) them didn't know that was a thing. any way I offered to pay for the needed material but I should get a discount, they told me NO, they offered to buy back the unused material as long it was rolled up and I would have to pay shipping. all for 2 feet of material, bottom line they basically told me to go f--- myself. I had over $200 in my shopping cart, I deleted those items and will not do any business with them again. I would hope that you would think twice before using them. they make it sound very easy but they have a huge table, a great machine and professional seamstress's in hopes of luring people like me to buy things. I went to defender and they had much better price. see ya Sailrite
shadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 10:57   #2

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: sailrite

I use https://www.sailmakerssupply.com/ for my stuff. Made a full cockpit enclosure (I see mistakes and problems, other people want me to make one for them) I'm using a Chinese walking foot -like Strongarm, 9" throat.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 11:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdancer View Post
...I thought I knew what I was doing...
And did you actually read the directions? Or did you just go cutting fabric because you THOUGHT you knew what you were doing?

Your incompetence is not their problem...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 12:15   #4

Boat: Pearson 424

did read directions for the 16 ft very different from the 10 ft
ill admit that I am not an expert but two different methods for the same sail pack. ? they don't tell you it has to be cut differently I assumed it would be the same for 16 ft and 10ft its not.
shadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 12:31   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
ill admit that I am not an expert but two different methods for the same sail pack. ? they don't tell you it has to be cut differently I assumed it would be the same for 16 ft and 10ft its not.
I don't understand why you are berating them just because you made a mistake and did not want to pay for it. You made an assumption and failed, do you actually think this is their fault?

I and thousands of others have used Sailrite's outstanding help and customer service. I will not hesitate before buying from them again.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 13:38   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

This is very funny.....

Your screwup is not sailrites problem....it’s yours. Own it and learn from it.

Do not berate a retailer for being in the business of selling their product and knowledge.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 14:32   #7

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
I really think the mods should delete this thread, I'd hate for any future reader to be misled about Sailrite's products or service. This one is on the OP.
Old 21-01-2019, 16:01   #8

Write it off as part of the learning curve. Think of how much you're saving by sewing things yourself!

Not worth getting upset over, and it's not really on Sailrite. They actually try and make it easy for DIYers.

If this is the worst thing you've screwed up, you're really doing well. Measure twice, cut once.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 16:28   #9

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I haven't sewn anything in 25 years. I ordered from sailrite, after many conversations and emails with their fantastic staff!
They talked me through every ignorant question and issue I had. The package they sent me did my sail pack, and cushions, with enough left over for life line covers.
They still answered all questions as I progressed.
If you didn't read the instructions for the 10' kit, didn't ask questions about it, how can you put the blame on them??
You said yourself, "I thought I knew what I was doing" and "I assumed it would be the same" Own up to your own mistakes, and learn from them.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 04:10   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We don’t really know what we are doing either.
That is why we bought a Sailright machine and buy other things from them, because they will answer your call, and are knowledgeable and will steer you to the right product, not the one with the highest mark up.

People that know what they are doing are the ones that can and do save significant money sourcing supplies and equipment elsewhere where they are cheaper, but do so without support.

That’s fine too, it’s what I do for engine parts, electrical supplies, pumps etc., cause there I know what I’m doing and don’t need to pay for the support.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 14:31   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Shadowdancer, if you're still reading this, Jim and I made dinghy chaps for our new PVC tubes on our RIB. AFTERwards, I found the SailRite instructions for that project. Boy, did I feel stupid! If I had read them first, we would have had a much, much easier time on our project.

Now, I have a little saying I made up some while ago, "Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."

In your case, you go buy some Sunbrella, either take a sample with you for color matching, or pick an intentionally contrasting color. When people ask you about it, explain you made a mistake cutting out and needed to fit in a patch (following the straight grain of the fabric). The patch might be a place to applique a logo or boat name, if you like. And, people understand that we all make mistakes, and they will think the better of you for dealing with the problem, and explaining how ratty you felt at first, and how you wound up feeling okay about it.

This one is solvable, with a potentially excellent outcome: the sail will be covered, and you'll have a unique sail cover. If you're making it for someone else, you'll have to find out from them, if the solution I offer is okay with them. If not, you'll have to start over, and that's not so much fun, but hold on to the Sunbrella, it can be re-purposed for other items (like jerry jug covers, dinghy fuel tank covers, cockpit cushions, cover for life sling bag, etc.).

Good luck with it,

Ann
Old 15-02-2019, 10:17   #12

27 posts. Welcome aboard. As with sailing and sewing and most other things in life, there is a steep learning curve in the world of online forums too. A little more reality and a little less 'facebook' band-wagonning.

Your project will get done and the total cost will still be less than paying a professional. The added cost of the mistake is the price of experience. It'll make you a better DIY'r in the long run.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailrite