Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2024, 12:00   #1

Boat: "Crew" on a Cascade 38
Sailrite SR-200?

Hello!

I have an old Sailrite SR-200 that I bought on a whim. It was a 12v DC machine that I converted over to a regular 120v AC motor setup. It has never really been used much, still appears close to new condition. It does however have a habit of eating needles and needs to be tuned up. Before I spend a couple hundred bucks getting it fixed up. I am debating if this old machine is worth the effort. I would like a new Ultrafeed LSZ, but it is not in the budget at this time.

What are your collective thoughts? Thanks!
fullsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2024, 13:06   #2

Re: Sailrite SR-200?

I have a 30-year old Thompson Mini-Walker, the original Sailrite machine. It was horribly out of tune and took it to a shop in San Diego. The guy tuned it so it ran, well, like a sewing machine. Cost was $60 two years ago.

Point being it may not take much to get the ol' gal in good order. Certainly worth a try - all you have to lose is a few calories from lugging it to the repair shop
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2024, 15:02   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Sailrite SR-200?

@fullsail:

Watch the SailRite video for tuning the machine. If it seems within your comfort zone, do it yourself, and learn. The learning will mean that the sewing machine can meaningfully accompany you cruising. You can get a hand crank for it, and then you can sew ashore anywhere, and mend anything that needs help.

However, if it isn't within your comfort zone, then mvweebles is right. It could be a little quick adjustment. Your needle smashes may have hit something that has misadjusted the machine, and what got dented may need careful prodding, then sanding back to round...

Ann -- who has made most of the possible mistakes, at least once

On edit: I had my mother's old Pfaff 130 on board for 30 yrs. or so, and I enjoyed mending other people's sail covers, and sewing stuff for them. You never know when some easy for you project may come along, and it's a venue to supporting friendships, like the time Jim and I (he was my cranker) mended the torn off UV strip on a friend's sail.

Tags
sail, sailrite