Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 05:41   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
Walk away.

This looks like work done by cheap labour who haven't a clue what they're doing. Who knows how they laid up the structural laminates.
Ditto the above post, I do fiberglass nad gelcoat work for a living, quality repairs are very labor intensive and expensive . A boat that is only six years old should not be experiencing what your pictures depict. My instincts are you have some kind of failure of the bond between the gel and laminate, possibly the yard used a finishing resin for the laminate that had wax in it. Run away!
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:35   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Imagine sitting in the first big storm at sea, thinking "I hope it was just cosmetics, I hope it was just cosmetics..."

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 22:38   #18

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42 - Even Star
Perhaps I'm misreading his posts but I think he has already bought the boat and is looking for solutions rather than bargaining points...

Frank
gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 22:42   #19

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Ditto the above post, I do fiberglass nad gelcoat work for a living, quality repairs are very labor intensive and expensive . A boat that is only six years old should not be experiencing what your pictures depict.
Of course it shouldnt

Quote:
My instincts are you have some kind of failure of the bond between the gel and laminate, possibly the yard used a finishing resin for the laminate that had wax in it. Run away!
But the boat is timber cored in epoxy resin

No wax
No gel
No finishing resin should have been used.
Old 12-08-2010, 22:44   #20

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Perhaps I'm misreading his posts but I think he has already bought the boat and is looking for solutions rather than bargaining points...

Frank
I think so

From Post 1

Quote:
Hi all,

I am really interest to buy a 2004 Schionning Cosmos, is not in a very good shape .... the seller told me the it will need some gel coat work and some furniture work, the cat was build he said by Kipli boat yard in Bali. I love the Schionning shape but I do not understand how is possible in 6yr this cat to look like this !! How much it will cost me let's say if I do all the work in professional yard ....
Bolded U and a added by me to make the message clearer
Old 12-08-2010, 23:25   #21

I move on from this cat, it will receive a nice gelcoat work from a shipyard in THAILAND and it will on the market soon, so watch out ) I bet the seller will not say anything about the recent gelcoat work......
drifter80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 06:09   #22

what a mess, this is either of the following, extreamly poor preparation of the deck prior to fairing and or the epoxy fillers used to level the deck have shrunk and cracked, looking at it i would say a bit of both?

expect to have to do most of the deck areas over time.
schionnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 15:56   #23

also interested

Hi
We are also enquiring about this boat and have been in contact with the owner. He is located in France which explains some of the language difficulties.

I know it looks pretty bad from the photos, but I wonder if sometimes these are difficult to judge. Ive seen some pretty looking boats in photos, but on inspection wouldnt touch.

We would be interested in checking out the structural soundness so would love any advice on a good multihull surveyor that the forumites here can offer who could advise on if it is worth putting in the $$$$$ and time to this vessel. Would particularly love to hear from Schionning about this vessel, if I'm right and they post here?
jacquie21670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 16:39   #24

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Jacquie,

Like everyone else who has responded regarding this boat the big concern is that it is in poor condition & this is in the areas that are readily visible. It is in the areas that you cannot see which would always give me great concern regardless of what a surveyor would say. The surveyor cannot hope to detect everything and this very suspect build quality would always be in the back of my mind and very quickly come to the front of my mind in adverse weather. I would recommend looking for another boat and running away from this one - what may look cheap could end up costing you a fortune or even your life! But it's up to you to make a judgement call.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:54   #25

Looks like the builder has saved thousands of hours work by fairing with polyester instead of epoxy coating. Standard polyester does not bond with epoxy.
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 17:24   #26

Lella

Well we went to have a look at the catamaran, with a schionning boat builder.

It is a much much worse than $50 - 100K to fix. The seller has quotes from a builder of $200K just for the decks but it looks like the hulls need to be done too, with cracks forming (the quote states likely to need to be done). The insides need to be ripped out as there have been extensive water leaks, and is rotten. It needs to be fully rewired, no electrics working at all. Rigging looks dire, mast has same cracks as decks.

We wouldnt buy without some core sampling being done, but the seller wont allow it.

Basically, if you could determine if the layup of the hulls has been done correctly, which how can you!!, you would be purchasing the first stage of the kit build, so approximatly 30% of build time completed (eg full fit out and fairing of whole boat required). You would have to love fairing to take it on, or be loaded $$$$. As they are asking 200K, spend at least 300K to finish, no profit for all your time and effort.
jacquie21670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 18:12   #27

Boat: grampian 26
I think in this case it would be safe to judge a book by its cover
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote