Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2012, 02:17   #1

Boat: Adams 36
Scratches on steel top hull

What a day!!! After buffing my dark blue hull only days ago, I got myself fighting the elements as the preferred way to my pile mooring was blocked. Finished scraping my foot rail along pile-on but since it was low tide, the barnicles on the pole scraped along my hull, into the paint and into the white primer underneath. I could have cried...
I've had scratches taken out before by a pro with great results. However not visiting hard-stand any time soon I'm thinking of attempting it myself.
Does anyone know the correct process???I know that he used the thinner for the top hull paint and probably used a wet and dry beforehand. (don't know about grid or any prep cleaning) I realise it needs to be done correctly so if anyone can guide me on the right path, I would love to hear from you! Thanks!
Guidogidday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 10:06   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Scratches on steel top hull

Steel hull, right?

You have to make sure it did not break through the primer. Do you still have some of the top paint? If not, can you get one that matches the color?
In any case, you’ll have to open up the scratches a bit by sanding, being careful not to break the primer (epoxy?). Then cleanup and brush on an epoxy primer (for protection and to promote adhesion) followed by the top coat. You’ll need to “build it up”, so the first coats will be applied inside the "groove" and you may have to thin the paint accordingly and then blend it with the older. By reducing the paint and using a good brush and tipping properly you can achieve good results. Its not hard but time consuming.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 22:46   #3

Boat: Adams 36
Thanks. Unfortunately don't have any more paint and colour has been discontinued. Looks like I'm gonna claim it on insurance. Won't be looking forward to next years premium. Thanks again for your reply.
Guidogidday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 22:53   #4

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Can't you mix your own to match, or find another brand of the same colour?
Old 18-11-2012, 23:15   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidogidday View Post
What a day!!! After buffing my dark blue hull only days ago, I got myself fighting the elements as the preferred way to my pile mooring was blocked. Finished scraping my foot rail along pile-on but since it was low tide, the barnicles on the pole scraped along my hull, into the paint and into the white primer underneath. I could have cried...
I've had scratches taken out before by a pro with great results. However not visiting hard-stand any time soon I'm thinking of attempting it myself.
Does anyone know the correct process???I know that he used the thinner for the top hull paint and probably used a wet and dry beforehand. (don't know about grid or any prep cleaning) I realise it needs to be done correctly so if anyone can guide me on the right path, I would love to hear from you! Thanks!
OK would love to know who built your boat as i built 2 of these and have lost contact.

Youv'e scratched to the undercoat so you need to rebuild your thickness, if poly-u some are recoatable and some are not. It sounds like your keen to have a go at repairs but lack some experience.

Find out the paint type/brand.
Is the scratches down to metal? ie is rust coming out of the scratches?

If no rust and recoatable you can touch up and block sand after with 600# then cut and polish.

Mooloolaba has many experienced painters maybe a carton and a discussion with one after work will do the trick?

Tags
hull