Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2021, 08:50   #1

Boat: Island Packet 35
Screw hole sealant

I am redoing my teak, taking off the metal belly bands and chafing plates.

The length and size of screws taken out are not uniform and many came right out with no resistance, meaning not actually biting into the wood. I actually wrote down the size screw for each hole so I could get the "right" ones back in.

When I put them back in I want to use a sealant and adhesive.

The holes are small so a caulking gun cannot be used without making a mess. Any suggestions on how to get the sealant in the screw holes?

Should I just dip the screws into either Silpruf, Sikaflex or 3m 5200?

Which sealant/adhesive do you suggest?

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Flyrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 11:24   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Screw hole sealant

Dipping or a syringe come to mind. There are cheap plastic syringes with straight needles readily available:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=30+cc+syr..._ts-doa-p_1_13

Don't use 3M 5200 if you ever want to get the screws back out. It's great stuff when you don't ever want to see them again, but notoriously permanent.

Silly cone, yeah, would help waterproof it. Think one size bigger screw. Use stuff rated for thirty years - it has less water in it and shrinks less.

I have a suspicion that you may have some rot under those screws that fell out. You might consider drilling them to see that you've got good wood, filling with epoxy, drilling again, and setting the screws.
Old 14-03-2021, 11:29   #3

Yeah, I just put a bit on the threads. 5200 is fine, It wont "glue" a screw in. You wont even know it's there if you remove the screw. Boatlife or other stuff works too.
I have little plastic syringes for that type of work. Can't remember where I got them, I bought about 50 at a time cheap.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 11:43   #4

Boat: Island Packet 35

I have a suspicion that you may have some rot under those screws that fell out. You might consider drilling them to see that you've got good wood, filling with epoxy, drilling again, and setting the screws.[/QUOTE]

Good call. I checked them all when taking them out and there is one spot, 2” to 3” near the port bow where the middle layer (of three layers) is bad/soft.

I suspect it came not from the screw holes but a prior owner varnished without removed the metal rail and that part was sealed (metal had varnish stuck to it when I removed it) and held water in that part.

Not sure what to do about it. Wood above and below it is good so not sure how to remove or replace.

Thank you for the reply and suggestions.
Flyrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, sealant