Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 10:30   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Screwdriver Set. Whats best in USA?

This, the bits go in the handle where you put a few drops of oil and they never rust.
SS is slippery and weak compared to hardened steel, a SS screwdriver won't rust but the tip will ruin screws where a steel bit will bite into the screw, if it slips, a little bit of Comet or Ajax will make it grab.
Life is too short for cheap tools

https://store.snapon.com/Standard-Ha...r-P630565.aspx
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:36   #17

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Ours are Craftsman, although Snap-On are really good, too.

In addition to "real" screwdrivers, I've got multiple sets of interchangeable bits -- straight blade, Phillips, Robertson (square), Torx, Allen (hex) -- and I probably use all those more often... in an electric drill, or in a long or short driver handle. Aside from the storage system (keeping all the little buggers organized) they don't take up much extra space. And they seem to be the go-to solution for about 90% of the repairs I do, most of which are just a quick tightening here or there.

Take that back. Make it 50%. I also do lot of work (40%?) using nothing but the Victorinox and the Leatherman that I always carry.

-Chris

-Chris
Old 06-09-2016, 10:43   #18

Boat: L42

This my screwdriver of choice. i have a huge selection of replaceable tips and they are easy and cheap to find. The handle can be straight or angled. the trigger is VERY easy to regulate the speed with and when you let go of the trigger the bit is locked so you can tighten or loosen by hand. This is critical with tiny screws or with many applications. It does have a clutch but I prefer to run things down and finish by feel.

I also have a full size drill/driver and an impact driver, but they are too fast and too powerful for many applications. I bought my first one of these about 15 years ago and will never be without one again. Other than a set of jewelers screwdrivers and maybe a gigantic one that I can beat with a hammer this is all I need. I do a massive amount of electrical work as well as woodwork and cabinetry. They are pretty indestructible. this is NOT a cheaply built tool.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW920K...ic+screwdriver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dewalt.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	130719  
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:47   #19
cruiser

Get a set of Beta screwdrivers from Italy. Sears Craftsman pricing, Snap On quality plus a they're a work of art.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:46   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Goody, I get to shop at Sears. The cultural reference to that is all old cowboy movies so I shall wear an appropriate hat and speak 'low and slow' like John Wayne.

Thanks for the advice.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:51   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

I would think any screwdriver set that has the hardened tip coatings on them are "the best".

I've had most the tools currently out on the boat for 8 years (on the boat as they mostly got moved from home). None have rusted away so I don't see any reason to chase around to get "marine" screwdrivers.
Old 06-09-2016, 13:18   #22

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Mark,
As other have stated, SnapOn is, in my opinion, the best. However, Sears Professional Grade comes with a lifetime guarantee against breakage, deformation, etc. and can be replaced at any Sears store free of charge. They also make a torque screwdriver with appropriate bits that is one of the best tools I have in my kit. It is twenty years old and still going strong. Good luck screwing around . . . Rognvald
Old 06-09-2016, 13:34   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You're a lucky person if you don't get attached to your "old friend" tools. I have a few Snap-On bits and pieces, but the only socket I ever broke was a Snap-On 10 mm.....and I replaced it with a Craftsman one that I still have.

Have fun, Mark.
Old 06-09-2016, 13:41   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I'll agree with most of the posts, Snap-On is really top quality but probably overpriced.

I have mostly Craftsman tools and a few Snap Ons. Some of the Craftsman stuff 30 years old or more. Some of the phillips screwdrivers are due for replacement but the sockets, pliers wrenches and stuff are like new.

In fact the ratchet handles for the socket sets I think the old ones are much superior to the new.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 13:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Klein, and nothing else. You won't ever be disappointed. You can purchase them at Home Depot (at least in Canada you can)
Definitely Klein.

The set in the photograph has endured twelve years of storage remarkably well. Only things missing are salt water and boat. From Sea Fit. Made in China.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2406.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	130729
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 14:07   #26

Boat: Amel 54

I'd say leave it to the Germans.

I'm a bit of a tool junkie myself and prefer to spend money on quality tools, logic being, I wont have to replace them down the line. That said, it should also come down to how often you use your tools, more so quality power tools, because those tend to be very expensive.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 14:32   #27

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

I've had EXCELLENT service from the Ultra Grip screwdrivers from McMaster Carr. Look through the page for the UltraGrip screwdrivers. Available as singles, sets, and stubbies. (For some reason I couldn't link to the individual pages.) The large ones have a handy hex drive up near the handle. This lets you use a wrench to really lay on the torque for big fasteners. I had a galled and very solidly stuck 3/8 machine screw slotted flat head (chain plate screw) that I was able to turn the head off of using one of these screwdrivers and a wrench. It was not even that difficult. I highly recommend them. I don't remember who actually makes them, but they seem high quality. Bonus, as you're in NYC, standard delivery from McMaster Carr in NJ should get them to you in one day!
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 14:44   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Look at Wiha, a German company. Oddly enough I found them while looking for miniature drivers, and thought they must be magnetic because they fit so perfectly that the screws simply held on to the blade. It turns out they are not magnetized (although they can be) they are simply MACHINED rather than stamped, and they are rather perfectly machines. They now make many sets of conventional Philips and slotted, on Amazon, the problem being they often dont list the sizes in a given set, you need to ask. I've also seen a number (perhaps including Irwin and Stanley) in recent years where the tip is a black metal, not the same as the shaft, which seems similarly machined into a more perfect fit. But the other big part of the question is what fits well in your hand. I have several "patent" drivers with things like finned rubber handles that look like sex toys, but are incredibly comfortable when you need a very hard grip. And one "ScrewBall", with a big round grip that also guarantees no blisters. And store many tips in the handle. Sets are all well and good but I think we all have our individual drivers of odd sorts that we go to before the sets. I would skip the Klein tools from Home Depot: they're often available at 1/3-1/2 price online. HD charges a fortune for Klein tools.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 14:57   #29

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Screwdriver Set. Whats best in USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
Snap On screwdrivers are great quality, but not really worth the extra cost IMHO. That, and as I usually have hand tools in my hands everyday, I don't find them that comfortable in my hands. Craftsman is what I prefer, not the professional series mind you (good, but not a good hand fit), but the traditional classic ones that are red, clear, with the blue handle ends. Don't know if Sears still has it, but there used to be a lifetime guarantee on their screwdrivers

My brother in law goes out to yard sales and gets the craftsman stuff for pennies, then walks into sears and replaces it with a new one.

I like quality tools as well but gave up on spending too much because if you use them a lot they eventually fall into the drink or get covered in epoxy and whatnots.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 16:07   #30

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I swear by the 4 or 6 in 1 red handled screwdrivers from Ace Hardware. The bits are hardened steel and rarely strip Phillips screw heads. I have about 4 on board so that I can find one when I want to. In addition, if you take the bit out, you have a nut driver that fits most hose clamps.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew