Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2019, 09:20   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Screwing into solid fiberglass

Second (Third?) the idea of no external strainer. But do be sure to check the thru-hull! We have a raw water cooled A/C system. We leave it on (it has a dehumidifier function) over the winter and when I went up for a few days to get things ready for spring it started erroring. Eventually I got around to checking the intake, and it was almost solid with pine straw. The internal strainer was full of leaf and pine straw debris, and when I removed the hose and opened the thru hull an almost solid mass of pine straw oozed out like an old playdoh machine. Once clear the A/C was fine again.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 09:21   #17

Boat: Currently boatless

I think an internally-mounted raw water strainer (Vetus, e.g.) looped between the through-hull and the block would be best. When weeds get sucked in, it's a simple matter to unscrew the lid and empty the strainer basket.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 09:46   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Don’t over think this. You’ve got a thick hull and there will be little load on the screws. I’d bed it in 5200 and use short self tapping screws.

Yes you will be able to remove it. 5200 is not the same as welding. When you want to remove it just warm it with a propane torch. It will just pop off.

A lot of people on this forum are suggesting not using an external strainer. Another option would be to use a good external strainer and eliminate the internal strainer. I’m seeing a lot of big powerboats go this route.

I installed a Groco APHS external strainer on my boat and never had to clean the internal strainer. If you get growth in the thru-hull, it opens to give you access.
https://www.groco.net/products/raw-w...er/aphs-series
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C55B1E28-A0DE-4FFA-9465-91EF7B424C89.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	190146  
Old 16-04-2019, 09:55   #19

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Pole View Post
I think an internally-mounted raw water strainer (Vetus, e.g.) looped between the through-hull and the block would be best. When weeds get sucked in, it's a simple matter to unscrew the lid and empty the strainer basket.
If youre going to have external strainers I like these https://www.groco.net/products/raw-w...er/aphs-series
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 11:26   #20

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

The external strainer (also known as perforated scoop) is fastened to the hull with #8 or #10 SS screws AND 3M 5200. Once the 5200 is set the screws are a second thought almost.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 11:42   #21

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
^^ He said "solid glass," so there is absolutely no purpose in removing good fiberglass. A pilot hole and self-tapper is the best practice in this case.
This is the appropriate amount of technology for the problem.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 11:42   #22

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
The external strainer (also known as perforated scoop) is fastened to the hull with #8 or #10 SS screws AND 3M 5200. Once the 5200 is set the screws are a second thought almost.
Do NOT use 5200 on anything that may need to be removed!
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 11:44   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I use 5200 all the time, it’s removable depending on use.
I would not install a hatch and use 5200 of course.

What sealant would you use for underwater?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 11:46   #24

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
Yes the OP said 6 x #10 machine screws. Hence I mentioned doing an epoxy plug to tap into, rather than the usual polyester hull. Others thought that was a terrible idea. Apparently self tapers are far superior. The manufacturer, and me, obviously know nothing, wasting money on machine screws.
Thanks to those for showing me the folly of my ways.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 12:01   #25

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

I vote with Hopcar. For many years I used both external and groco ARS internal strainers. When I repowered recently I could not find a place to mount the new larger internal strainer. The outfitter helping mwe with this project - asked me "when was the last time you had to clean out the internal strainer?" I said I check it from time to time but actually never did I have to clean it out. So he suggested no internal Groco only the external strainer. Says many power boats go this route now. Ok. Giving it a try.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 12:10   #26

If you actually mean the hull of the boat,... NO.
If you are talking a fiberglass part of the boat that doesn't contact the water on the other side of the fiberglass then drill and tap for a machine screw.
While you could use a blind tap and thread maybe 1/2" into the hull and find screws of a perfect length... I just wouldn't do that'
Make a wood or metal adaptor plate and glass that to the hull , then screw into that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Publication5.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	190154  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 12:48   #27

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The problem with using self-tapping screws is that they crush the glass/resin mixture, and will only be good for a limited number of removals. It is far better to drill and tap, particularly if the screws will be removed from time to time. For the shear loads that a screen would experience it is unnecessary to replace some glass resin with epoxy - 6x#10 into fiberglass is going to provide ample holding. So drill a pilot hole "blind" - i.e. not through the hull - then tap. The best way to do that would be to use a set of three taps that include a bottom tap.

As I wrote yesterday on another thread I think the internal strainer is redundant if a screen is used. I like having an external screen to prevent things like jellyfish and plastic bags from getting sucked into the intake - better than having to clear a thru-hull IMHO. Whichever works for you; I just agree that both are not needed.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 13:12   #28

Boat: Boatless at the moment

@finefurn you are not really considering to dril 5 absolutely non-necessary holes in your hull...? Use little 5200 and some tape to hold in place. Please use your common sense.
Old 16-04-2019, 19:03   #29

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Screwing into solid fiberglass

I’ve been using that particular groco strainer on my boat for about 6 years (about 2000 hours on the engine) and it has never been a problem. I have never had to remove so much as a small leaf from my internal strainer in all that time. The strainer can be opened and cleaned of anything you may need to clean out by either removing the ring and opening it or unscrewing the screen and removing it. If it were a real emergency you could easily poke a hole right through the screen from the inside of the boat.

We used a pilot hole and 1/2” bronze screws and that’s all. Between the screws and the bottom paint it hasn’t moved.

You do need to be careful that you don’t let the screen get clogged by paint.... you should go around with something small to poke the holes open. With that said, I’ve never had the engine overheat or get hot at all.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 21:15   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hey guys, he said "external" strainer, so the screws are from the outside of the hull, and there are no significant loads on the strainer.

Jim
Gulp...obviously I had something else in mind. In my defense I was left with inadequate supervision.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, Hull repair