Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2020, 01:51   #16

Boat: Logan 33
Re: Sea Cocks -- PTFE Tape vs Caulk and Oakum

From the Trudesign web site........
"QUESTION
What sealant should I use between a bronze or stainless skin fitting and a TruDesign ball valve ?
ANSWER
The same options as you would use for sealing any TruDesign composite fitting to a TruDesign composite Ball Valve: #3M 5200 #3M 5200 FT (Fastcure) # Sikaflex 291i # Loctite 55 Pipe Sealing ..."
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 03:40   #17

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Groco says a couple wraps of wide tape then a fair amount of quality pipe dope on both pieces. With too much tape you will restrict the depth in which you can match the parts together..... unless you have to have the final position different than fully tight.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 05:01   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpoos View Post
I don't really want to play the devil's advocate here, but that metal your new seacocks are made of looks like Brass and not bronze?? If brass it has a much higher zinc content which will make your seacocks an anode to a point.

Very happy to be corrected in this case.

Those are Maestrini 85-5-5-5 bronze fittings as originally specified by Moody. These are the best European underwater fittings made of the best grade of bronze for this purpose.

I am now replacing the last batch of them; the first 8 I replaced two years ago. These last ones are now 19 years old and are actually still in seaworthy condition, just that one of them is getting hard to close, and the handles are starting to rust. I could have probably saved the €1500 all this stuff cost me but it was time to take them all apart anyway for a thorough inspection, and once you do that, you might as well renew them.

It's beautiful hardware; a shame actually that they will be out of sight. They have been somewhat improved over the last decades; Maestrini now provides stainless handles. They are expensive but worth every penny in my opinion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	405748_1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	213135

Click image for larger version

Name:	seaco.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	213136

Maestrini s.r.l.

I have NOT replaced the through hulls, and that on the advice of my surveyor in Cowes. I have file tested every one of them for dezincification; they are perfect. My surveyor says their life is basically unlimited provided they are not exposed to stray currents.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 05:15   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
. . . I don’t know if your seacock threads are tapered pipe threads or not. If not, I think you need some sort of thread sealant.

NPT and NPS fittings are unknown in Europe; here everything is BSP, which has tapered threads. BSP threaded joints are inherently watertight, so maybe PFTE tape is appropriate? But Moody used oakum and caulk. Their choice of caulk, whatever it was, was good -- because I didn't have any trouble getting the fittings apart even after 19 years I would like to leave a similar legacy for whoever owns my boat 19 years from now.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 18-04-2020, 05:27   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
NPT and NPS fittings are unknown in Europe; here everything is BSP, which has tapered threads.
No, BSP has both tapered and linear variants just like NPT and NPS. Pretty sure the skin fitting has linear thread so hope your valves have that too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 05:28   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
NPT and NPS fittings are unknown in Europe; here everything is BSP, which has tapered threads. BSP threaded joints are inherently watertight, so maybe PFTE tape is appropriate? But Moody used oakum and caulk. Their choice of caulk, whatever it was, was good -- because I didn't have any trouble getting the fittings apart even after 19 years I would like to leave a similar legacy for whoever owns my boat 19 years from now.
A minor correction - BSP has two thread forms, parallel and tapered.

For a jointed connection, the male will be BSPT and the female can be either BSPT or BSPP. In Oz (and the UK??), the female will be BSPP.

See more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 05:43   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Hemp and paste is my sealant on everything. You can even make adjustments as it expands over time. Teflon is ok on small stuff .

That's what Moody used. What kind of paste?
Walt Whitman
Old 18-04-2020, 08:47   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
A minor correction - BSP has two thread forms, parallel and tapered.

For a jointed connection, the male will be BSPT and the female can be either BSPT or BSPP. In Oz (and the UK??), the female will be BSPP.

See more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe
So the male thread of a skin fitting is parallel, right? I called it linear but that’s just a different word for the same thing. I can’t imagine skin fittings that don’t allow to be cut to size.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 09:14   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So the male thread of a skin fitting is parallel, right? I called it linear but that’s just a different word for the same thing. I can’t imagine skin fittings that don’t allow to be cut to size.

No, tapered. It's the female BSP thread in some European countries which is straight. Edit: That was wrong. They are ISO 228, which is BSPP or straight threads, on both male and female.

You can of course cut skin fittings to the required length -- they would be useless otherwise. One reason I haven't changed mine is the massive PITA to cut them properly, debur them, chase the threads, etc. It should be done in a machine shop.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe. More or less the whole world uses BSP pipe thread standards except the U.S. and Canada.
Walt Whitman