Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2024, 09:06   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Sea Hawk bottom paints

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
As I'm sure I've told you before- If you think anti fouling paint doesn't work very well, I suggest you try going without it

I always wonder about these statements. Compared to what reference point? Something super toxic? Going without? Just look at the test panels in post 5, and that is not a particularly high fouling area. Yes, some of the paints are rather lame, but generally not high-copper paints from good brands ... which are expensive.

And as you say, it is often unrealistic to believe that no cleaning will be required. Some places and if you go fast, yes. Other places, when boats sit no way. Some of those clear sections are Seahawk, some are others.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:30   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I always wonder about these statements. Compared to what reference point? Something super toxic? Going without?
I don't really understand your reply but my point is that for those who think that anti fouling paints are ineffective, almost all of them are actually quite effective (to one degree or another) and the proof of that would be to keep your boat in the water without paint. Cleaning a hull that does not have anti fouling paint on it is typically so difficult that many (maybe most, including me) divers refuse to do it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:27   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I don't really understand your reply but my point is that for those who think that anti fouling paints are ineffective, almost all of them are actually quite effective (to one degree or another) and the proof of that would be to keep your boat in the water without paint. Cleaning a hull that does not have anti fouling paint on it is typically so difficult that many (maybe most, including me) divers refuse to do it.

I was agreeing with you. The good paints work pretty darn well, but cleaning is still generally required.
Old Yesterday, 06:37   #19

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

I have 4 dive boats in the Caribbean. One has Micron CSC and three use Monterrey, both brands bought in the States. The Sea Hawk Monterrey works better for us and lasts a bit longer.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:46   #20

Boat: Tartan 40

We have used BioCop for the past 4 years in Newport RI. It has been only fair. Without regular cleaning, it will allow hard growth. Last season, I painted the bottom prior to launch. I did not sail her very often and did not have her bottom cleaned. There was a proliferation of barnacles at season’s end, some quite large . Major pain to sand off. I pained her again this season and have had her bottom cleaned every month. She’s still had slime but obviously no hard growth. Can’t say it is effective.
ob44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:17   #21

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Interlux paints have gotten ridiculously expensive and I am considering alternatives. Sea Hawk paints are much cheaper but how do they stickup. Boat is in fresh water and is hauled for the winter. Considering either the Monterey paint or the Biocop TF. Thoughts/experience?

Thanks
Not to bespeak Seahawk - but.. I used Cukote for 5-6 seasons and suffered a little hard growth but more so slime. The boat is in brackish salt water further enhanced with a sewage treatment plant. I switched to Total Boat - Krypton and have been quite happy. Other Total Boat users report similar good results with other varieties.
kingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:17   #22

Seahawk BioCop after 13 months,

ZERO diver cleanings,
No power washing

Cruising grounds: Bahamas, Eastern Caribbean, Eastern Florida, Chesapeake. About 8000 sailing miles.

Works for us. Really hard to imagine why we would want to change.

Of course no paint is "best" everywhere, but considering that we have no home port, and a wide cruising range, we need something that is at least acceptable in a very wide range of waters. This looks like the answer we will be sticking with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1624 copy.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	292846  
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:58   #23

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Big fan of Sea Hawk.

We’ve used Hempel, Jotun, International before and the Sea Hawk is really standing up well. Currently using Island 77 and it did great up the island chain. Would recommend.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:00   #24

Boat: Beneteau 361

Previous owner had used SeaHawk Cukote green semi-hard, self-polishing ablative finish with 47.5% cuprous oxide. I DIY the bottom job Feb '23 using the same SeaHawk and have a pro diver scrub her monthly. My home port is Port Canaveral in warm Florida saltwater. The monthly hull photos show the paint holding up well, so I think I will get 2-3 years. I don't recall it being much less expensive than comparable Petit or Interlux.
twofingerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:12   #25

Boat: Beneteau 361

https://www.practical-sailor.com/boa...-bottom-paints
twofingerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint