Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2020, 15:51   #16

Re: Seaward 26 RK steering steel cables connections to the rudder? How to tension?

while centering the rudder I recommend to slide the cable-attachment towards the end of the tiller and to fix it there by some means, for example by mounting on the tiller two hose-clamps, one before and the other aft of the cable-attachment. The more You move the attachment towards the end of the tiller, the more leverage You will obtain, and the more the cables will be tensioned, which is what You want to achieve.
On the other hand, You should not tension the cables too much. The rudder-wheel should move about 5 degrees before provoking an effect on the rudder.
Your photos don't show the pulleys on the two sides of the boat, guiding the cables towards the tiller. You should check for wear there.
Suliwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 17:04   #17

Boat: Hake Seaward 32rk
Re: Seaward 26 RK steering steel cables connections to the rudder? How to tension?

You coarsely adjust the cables using the cable clamps and then adjust further using the adjusters where the cable comes out of the jacket. You should loosen adjuster all the way before adjusting the cable clamps and then final adjustment with adjusters. You can barely see an adjuster in one of your picks. I have the same boat in a 32rk. Contact me for more assistance and or photo
bppleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:56   #18

There are no pulleys as the cables are routed in a jacket or conduit. Where the jacket ends there is an adjuster. If you can't get play out with the adjuster you need to loosen the adj as far as possible and then shorten the cable by loosening the clamps and taking the slack out. This is the course adjustment and the adjusters are the fine adjustment. You don't want. them to tight though. Your pictures don't show the adjusters but they are there. Where the cable exits the jacket. I have a hake seaward 32 rk and it is the same
Old 13-12-2020, 13:24   #19

Boat: Seaward 26RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubstuff View Post
Looking at the pictures, nothing about that system looks like a factory installation or something a yacht designer would approve of. Hose clamps and bent, separated wires just don't seem seaworthy and shipshape. This looks like a cobbled-up temporary rig that replaced a properly built system that broke. I would call the designer and/or manufacturer for advice and recommendations.
There is nobody really to call. Hake Yachts does not exists anymore. Not sure of IP can answer this question.
I do not see how this system is unsafe or worse than one shown on Edson catalog cut. In fact I think it is better in some ways. Less parts to fail, and wires on both side of the tiller are in parallel all the time. I have read on the other forum that some Seawards have same design. I do not see any legacy holes from previous installations.
Yesterday I have tighten the cables. I loosed the brake on the steering wheel. Put rudder in the center position. One wire cable was already connected. I pulled second cable by one hand as hard as I could and use wice-grip to clamp it as close as possible to the tiller. The wire clamp between the tiller and the vice-grip provided additional tension I theory I could add as many wire clamps as required but it turnout that one was enough. Or I could use alternative vice-grips to tighten the wire.
I still have to figure out the meaning of the bracket design welded to the slider. One purpose is to keep wire cables from sliping. What would be the purpose of that eye on the top?
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...cture33061.jpg
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...cture33062.jpg
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...cture33063.jpg
facciatosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 16:41   #20

Contact me for more onfo
Old 15-12-2020, 11:37   #21

Boat: Seaward 26RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bppleas View Post
Contact me for more onfo
I have sent pm with my email address.
facciatosta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
award, cables, rudder, seaward, steel, steering