Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2015, 20:36   #1

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Sekaflex Question

We installed a couple of Lexan windows today. Sanded the window areas to be bonded, used the cleaner, the 209 primer, and the Sekaflex 295 UV. Unfortunately the hot texas Sun was a bit much and the Seka around the first window set up before we could get it smoothed. Second window was getting a little later in the day and cooler and turned out awesome.

So question is can I tape up first window and try to skim over a fresh coat of Sekaflex 295 OVER the already cured Seka? It is just a cosmetic thing.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 21:36   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Sekaflex Question

It probably won't come out smooth or fair. It would be best to take a razor blade and cut off the the old sealant. and do anew. Take a single edge blade and bend it in the middle little bit and then cut off the old stuff.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 22:18   #3

But you think old deja would stick to new? Yeah I could cut some away. The window is bedded in a recessed opening. The sika below it is what is bonding. I am just concerned cutting some away if new won't stick to old. Old being one day old!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:17   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

You may try cutting at an angle so that the grove is deeper at the cabin side. Then as the new sika dries, it shrinks and will hold on very well to the original layer. Also, sika deeper will be less set - it seems to set from the outside (try on a blob and you will find).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 16:17   #5

Thanks for the replies. I got up this morning, and it was relatively cool (probably only 80 degrees). My windows have about a half inch of Seka between the window and the frame. I considered cutting some of that out and backfilling, but concern that right now it has a good seal, and I didn't want to do anything to weaken that. I taped it up, and put in some additional Seka in a couple of spots, troweled it down with a credit card, and then smoothed it with a wet soapy finger. Am hoping it holds. It got up to around 100 deg F again today, so I suspect it all stuck together. As I pulled some of the tape from the inside this morning, I noticed that there was still some sealant that had not completely hardened. Just keep fingers crossed that it all sticks together. It sure likes sticking on dry skin! If any of the touchup layer comes off, it won't be any worse than when I started. Probably just too much of a perfectionist.

At least the windows are clear now. The old ones were heavily crazed. Here are some after pics. Mast is gone having the radar added and the standing rigging changed out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0173.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	107044   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0171.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	366.1 KB
ID:	107045  

Old 10-08-2015, 07:39   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Wow, this looks fantastic!

Great job. I bet it will hold up well. I found Sika products very forgiving and on our boat, where there is a metal mast base plate sitting on Sika over a gelcoat roof I cut and renew only the outer rim of the job now and then. Originally built in 2006 and as good as new 9 years down the road and 25k miles on.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:45   #7

Are you using the white SekaFlex 295 UV? I have a lot of deck joins that need to be resealed. Manufacturer says use something that is a sealant, and not really an adhesive. And would like it to stay white for a long time. Some guys have used the 3M 4000 UV and said consistency after many months is still sticky (like bubble gum). Am looking for something that works.