Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2023, 20:04   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Semco prep question

I have some honey tone Semco I want to use on my deck teak. Seven months ago I stripped the eyebrows and dome other things with s heat gun and sanded it smooth. I did not strip the handrails as that was so much work.
Since then the teak I sanded went gray, i was find with that as I was debating what to treat it with, but finally saw another boat with honey tone which was beautiful.
When i got the can of honey tone it said to use Semco 2- part cleaner prior to applying the protective coat. The instructions are a bit confusing. Does the first part of the two part cleaner strip all remaining protectors, including hardened varnish? Or must I strip the handrails still with a heat gun or something else, then use part 2, which is also a neutralizer. Is part 1 of the cleaner just oxalic acid?
The instructions also mention waiting 2 weeks to apply it after sanding new teak. What if I am just sanding the grey off older teak? For that matter, will cleaners part 1 or 2 remove the gray from the teak? Or must I sand again?
thanks!
Zach
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 02:39   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit
Re: Semco prep question

We use Semco natural on our boat. Before applying it, we just wash the deck. If the teak is grey, you can use pretty much any kind of teak cleaner to brighten it up. Actual sanding may not be necessary. Teak cleaner is not going to strip varnish, so if you have varnished areas you want to put Semco on, you need to strip those. The first time we did this about 15 years ago or so, our deck was grey. I just got down and washed it all with a teak cleaner (on my hands and knees and with a sponge and scrubber pad where necessary). Since then, I just give it a gentle wash and apply a new coat of Semco once or twice a season.

Gerhard
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 06:06   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if it is grey then it probably needs to be sanded again. just to expose the fresh wood again. in my opinion
Old 08-06-2023, 11:51   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 43T Telstar keel

I would avoid the 2-part cleaners that use oven type cleaner and burns when using unless you have gloves on.

Use this stuff from TDS: https://teakdecking.com/cleaners-2/

Or just soap and water.

That is what I would do.
CharmCityBoater is offline   Reply With Quote