Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2009, 23:25   #1

Boat: Ebbtide 36
Question Sestrel Moore Compass

I have a Sestrel moore compass on my recently acquired 20yr old 36ft steel boat. It would appear that the corrector magnets are also 20 years old and have never been moved. The compass was locked (too long in same position) so I attempted to remove the magnets which I succeeded in doing eventually (rusted into place). Now I'm trying to source a corrector magnet plate assembly for a sestrel moore compass. Easier said than done, although these compasses are much sought after and fine pieces of work it seems almost impossible to find spares. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Cheers.
ianhef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 00:20   #2

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Wow - 16 minutes old and your post shows up as the second google search item for "Sestrel Moore Compass" - is it profiling me?

Anyway - I assume you contacted these guys: SIRS Navigation - manufacturers of avionic Instruments; marine magnetic compasses
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 18:07   #3

Yep, I've been on to them. Very helpful but as seems to be the stock answer "its no longer in production, if you send the compass to us we might be able to do something" This is what I may end up doing but before going to the expense of sending the whole kit to the UK I thought I'd check around if anyone knew of some place that carried some old spares. These things were fairly popular I though there must be a few spare parts lying about somewhere?
Old 14-10-2009, 19:17   #4

Boat: Custom designed wood 69 ft ketch; Moonfire
I have several Sestrel Moore compasses on board. send me an email and since I am currently in Sydney; Black Wattle Bay; we could get together and see what you have and what you need.
sv_moonfire@hotmail.com
If I dont have exactly what you want I have a friend in Seattle who overhauled all my compasses and he is very competant.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 03:11   #5

Hello Lawrence, cheers for your reply but I have already had the base unit repaired by sea2science in the UK. I must say they did a fantastic job, the base unit was returned like new with brass bits having been used instead of the original plastic and he even managed to find a full set of original replacement magnets. Very impressed. Hope your enjoying Sydney!

Tags
compass