Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2011, 05:44   #1

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39
Setting-Up and Using Boating Utility Trailer

Hi:

I bought a covered utility trailer from the guy down the road to be used specifically as a boating utility trailer. It is about 4 feet wide by 4 high by 6 deep. Gross weight for both the trailer and tow vehicle is 2000 pounds.

I envision it mostly as a tool shed holding heavy duty maintenence stuff such as sanders and grinders, maybe a bench vice - the kind of stuff you would want at the boat on a heavy duty work detail weekend, but not necessarily want IN the boat and be sailing around with, for weight, storage and theft risk reasons.

Of course theft risk is a complicated issue. When at the boat over night does one then have to unload the tool trailer onto the boat?

Another usage would be to take high value items off the boat (electronics and sails? ) to mitigate theft issues when away from the boat.

Has anyone else developed a similar trailer or otherwise have suggestions as to how to productively outfit and use one?

As I don't yet have a boat, I need some boat related projects to keep me going through the winter.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 06:52   #2

Re: Setting up and using boating utility trailer

I would think that the smart move would be to not set it up in too permanent a way until you have been using it for a while. My guess is that as you use it your use will evolve. So in a year or two you may be using it in a very different way than you envision right now, before you even have the boat.

As such, I would probably set up some temporary racks and shelves, in whatever fashion seemed appropriate. As time goes on, and you use it more and more, change the arrangement to better suit your actual use.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:46   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I would think that the smart move would be to not set it up in too permanent a way until you have been using it for a while. My guess is that as you use it your use will evolve. So in a year or two you may be using it in a very different way than you envision right now, before you even have the boat.

As such, I would probably set up some temporary racks and shelves, in whatever fashion seemed appropriate. As time goes on, and you use it more and more, change the arrangement to better suit your actual use.
I'm thinking this is good advice. Much like a new (to you) boat.....its often best to sail her a bit before making what may seem to be obvious and necessary changes.

Fundamentally I think the trailer idea is a good one. The closer you can get it to the boat the better...it seems like what ever the seemingly small project I undertake....I end up with nearly every tool out before I'm done.

You may find that a couple wheeled tool "totes" may be more practical if you end up needing to pull all tools on board....If the boats small the trailer may be usefull for storing materials and fitting/fixtures in....Working over that sort gets real old real fast.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:50   #4

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
You may find that a couple wheeled tool "totes" may be more practical if you end up needing to pull all tools on board....If the boats small the trailer may be usefull for storing materials and fitting/fixtures in....Working over that sort gets real old real fast.
Thanks guys.

That might be the most of it - a dry place to toss out cushions and bits while I am digging myself to some obscure part of the boat.

I do like the tool tote idea. I have been thinking of making a bunch of uniformly sized tool boxes. One for plumbing, electrical, fibreglass general repair, and whatever other categories I can think of. This would be useful at the house too as the shop is about 60 metres from the house and I am forever walking back and forth.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boating