Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2019, 16:54   #91

Boat: Tartan 37 #6
Re: Sewing a new boom bag, thread choices

I use basting tape but also staple the seams together,as you reach each staple you can just flip it out with a staple remover,a long neck stapler is real handy.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 17:07   #92

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Another cause of thread breakage/shredding is pulling the fabric to "help" the feed dogs. This is a big no-no because it causes the needle to imperceptibly wear away the edge of the needle plate. The crashes break needles, and cause sharp edges on the plate. The needle deflects very slightly toward the hook and the resulting crash causes burrs on whatever it hits, usually the hook. This can cause thread breakages and shredding over and over after the crash.

Early on I had a variation on this theme where a giant knot formed in the hole in the needle plate and the plate got bent downwards.
I spent a bit of time gently straightening it up again. Still not sure what I did that caused the knot in the first place, except that I am sure it had something to do with my lack of skill.

I see these symptoms all the time on home sewing machines. Usually with one quick look at a machine, I can tell if the sewer is talented or sloppy.
We know the guys at Schattauer Sails in Seattle. Their high speed machines have compressed air nozzles added which are aimed straight at the needle to keep it cool.
I met one of those air cooled machines the other day.
VERY nice bit of kit.
Old 26-09-2019, 17:08   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
I use basting tape but also staple the seams together,as you reach each staple you can just flip it out with a staple remover,a long neck stapler is real handy.
Interesting idea, but Ann already had me freaking out about extra holes from the pins... the staples would worry me.
Old 26-09-2019, 17:34   #94

A couple of years ago I attended a couple of days dodger making class at Hood canvas. They build exquisite canvas for boats, they use staples all the time.
Old 26-09-2019, 17:42   #95

An example
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	94C229D2-0DB7-4375-9170-D760EB9B0966.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	200581  
Old 26-09-2019, 17:45   #96

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Staples on the outer part of the seam allowance would do no harm. No one but you would ever see their holes, and probably disappear after the first rain, anyway. Not so, with WeatherMax. Needle holes stay in it.

Ann
Old 27-09-2019, 07:08   #97

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I had a ton of trouble with Profilen until I switched to Groz-Beckert needles. More details here: Profilen skipped stitches with LSZ-1 - Sailrite Forum - Page 2
patja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 07:37   #98
Marine Service Provider

V-92 is the size (diameter) of the thread. It's also referred to as Tex 90 or Government size F. A good source for thread information is https://www.thethreadexchange.com/mi...de=Information

V-138 is quite heavy and while many of my industrial machines work with V-92 all day long, V-138 can be quite a challenge. Prior to spending any money on this larger size make sure your machine can handle it. Even V-92 is too much for a home style sewing machine.

The suggestion to contact Sailrite is a good one. They are quite responsive and have a wealth of information on projects like yours. The only advice I can offer is take your time and be patient. Getting a machine adjusted for a new thread sometimes requires taking a deep breath, pouring a cocktail and starting over the next day.
liferaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 13:30   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferaft View Post
V-92 is the size (diameter) of the thread. It's also referred to as Tex 90 or Government size F. A good source for thread information is https://www.thethreadexchange.com/mi...de=Information

V-138 is quite heavy and while many of my industrial machines work with V-92 all day long, V-138 can be quite a challenge. Prior to spending any money on this larger size make sure your machine can handle it. Even V-92 is too much for a home style sewing machine.

The suggestion to contact Sailrite is a good one. They are quite responsive and have a wealth of information on projects like yours. The only advice I can offer is take your time and be patient. Getting a machine adjusted for a new thread sometimes requires taking a deep breath, pouring a cocktail and starting over the next day.
Hello, liferaft,

You may be correct about home machines these days not being able to handle V92, but my Mom's old Pfaff 130 sewed with it, with a 110 needle. It didn't like to reverse over it, and I had to be careful, but It did happily use V92, and I expect that the old fashioned, all metal inside sewing machines, which can be found for sale will mostly all of them do okay with it. For a number of years, those Pfaffs were sought out by cruisers. They're not really up for doing clews in sails, but mine re sewed the sacrificial strip on a friend's genoa, with Jim turning the hand crank, and us sitting on the grass in Vanuatu...using V92.

Please note, I made awnings, weather cloths, a mainsail cover, and a couple of dodgers with her machine, which she had given me when I first started having children, then took away with me when Jim and I went cruising. For low budget cruisers, the old sewing machines (mine was from 1949) definitely have application. I would imagine that with a lot of fussing, you could get one to use the ptfe thread, as well.
Old 27-09-2019, 19:39   #100
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
Yes, I do this too. Mine is called a book-binding stapler.

I find sewing into basting tape with Tenara gets a terrible tangle of thread. Baste just to the side of the stitch line as someone else said.

Also, when sewing the hook side of velcro this thread doesn't work well, so I'll change to polyester thread for that.

Sewing sticky back velcro with Tenara doesn't work for me at all.

Has anyone use Profilen? Saiirite seems to promote this more than Tenara for home sewing machines. Is it any different?
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 06:51   #101

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

WOW great thread on thread thats all I can add
Mistress Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 14:31   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Sirena View Post
WOW great thread on thread thats all I can add

And very little thread drift.
Old 28-09-2019, 14:47   #103

Any picture of it installed, yet?

Ann
Old 28-09-2019, 16:06   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Any picture of it installed, yet?

Ann
Nope, no photos yet. I test fitted it yesterday but it was blowing like stink so I didn't hang around for a selfie.

Fits well, though I have to shorten the vertical bit at the mast a little. So a bit more sewing to do, plus installing the eye-thingies, all of which will have to wait for an assignment I am doing which is due on Tuesday.
Old 28-09-2019, 19:15   #105

Ah, yes, when the business of life interferes with the pursuit of sailing....

Ann