Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2004, 18:15   #1

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Sewing Machines

Have narrowed the choice down to a Sailrite LS-1 (bottom of the line) and will probably get it from Sailrite as they have been very helpful although I've seen them on E-Bay a few bucks cheaper . Any other ideas? Will be used mostly for upholstery and canvas. Our present Sears Heavy Duty model is useless.
Old 22-09-2004, 07:56   #2

Boat: Grand Alaskan. 64'
Man I could speak volumes on this topic. Short answer. Spend the extra $$ and get the LSZ-1. I promise you won't regret it. I use the zig zag feature much MUCH more than I ever thought I would!!

I started with an old used singer about 15 years ago that I'd gotten at a yard sale for 50 bucks. After about 5 years, I bought a Sailrite Yachtsman for, I think, $299 and sold the singer to someone on the dock for $150. Two years ago, in preparation for retirement, I bought the LSZ-1 and sold the old Yachtsman on ebay for $275 + shipping.

When, If I ever sell the LSZ-1 chances are I won't lose $$ on that either and the ZZ feature will only enhance the deal to the new buyer.

No I don't work for Sailrite but I do sew a lot and love my new machine.

Skimp on something for the house, not the boat.

Greg
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2004, 14:45   #3
RPC

We have used a sailrite longarm onboard for several years whilst circumnavigating, it is a great machine. Only down side is its weight. You can view it on our webpage in use (click on the photo to enlarge).

http://www.onpassage.com/Sails/Sails.htm

If you want to ask any techy questions about it I will get Bridget to talk to you. Just let me know.

Rod
RPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2004, 17:03   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Vasco, We have the LS-1 and it is a great machine. Do a lot of our own canvas and we do sail repairs even with out the zig zag. We just triple stitch the seams. I guess you need to decide how important the zig zag feature is to you. We seldom used it with the other machine. Only if the sail needed restitching.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2004, 11:26   #5

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Sewing machine

If you plan to work on sails a zig zag stitch is best. Will the machine switch from zig to straight stitch? My Phaff has a variety of stitch patterns. You will regret not getting a zig zag. No machine will sew the light weight stuff and the heavy stuff, it will be a compromise. If the add says it will sew anything I will tell you lots of things it will not sew. If you could test the machine with the material that you would most likely be sewing, that would be nice. It is what a proffessional would do. If you can sew sail material together and the added thickness of the luff seam you should be fine, but do not believe that it will sew 6 layers of 16 ounce canvas. If you get a good machine it should last you all your life. If you get the cheaper model you may be replacing it. My larger Singer was made before reverse was invented and that was a long time ago. BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2004, 13:28   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Sunbrella and Upholstery

That's what it'll mainly be used for. My sails are new and I rarely unfurl them.
I have to repair an old dodger (re-stitch and new Strataglass) and am going to try and make new upholstery. Also will be making hatch covers, wheel cover etc. and it's not really me - my wife is the sewer in the family and has done a good job with the Sears model so far but for thick stuff it just won't do. The zig-zag is considerably more money.
Old 23-09-2004, 16:52   #7

Sewing machine

I would spend the extra $$ you will not regret it. The bigger more expensive machines have a walking foot, you probably do not need this. My small machine does not have it but the bigger one does. My large machine will sew stuff the the smaleer ones will not touch. When I was actually working for a living in the trade we had a machine that was twice as big as my HD model and another machine that was twice as big as that. It would sew two pieces of 3/16 plywood together. We used it to sew stuff to the door panels in cars. The stitch could be up to 5/8 of an inch.
BC Mike C
Old 23-09-2004, 20:27   #8

Sewing stuff

Can I add to my own post? It is not easy to explain but if anyone has questions about upholstery and covers and stuff I will try and answer them. I served a five year apprenticeship in NZ in auto and furniture upholstery, and canvas work and worked at the trade in NZ, Hawaii and Canada for a few more years.
BC Mike C
Old 24-09-2004, 13:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Now, why on earth did you leave NZ or Hawaii for that matter

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 17:10   #10

Move

Long story but I can always go back. Part of it would involve a political discussion that would be best left to a chat over a beer.
BC Mike C