Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2021, 10:37   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43T Telstar keel
Sherwin Williams Ablative - which one?

Folks,

I have 43 foot sailboat. I am getting ready to paint the bottom. I see many people suggest and use Sherwin Wiliams ablative bottom paint. I went to the Sherwin-Williams store and the only one they have in stock are for steel hulls. Can someone please provide me with a part number or model number for the paint that I should be using for a fiberglass Hull ?

Thanks

Phil
CharmCityBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:45   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Sherwin Williams Ablative - which one?

The MSDS for their bottom paints indicates <60% copper content. Why anyone suggested it is preferable to others is a mystery.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:12   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

The USCG is using their antifouling paint and SW is now doing an antifouling for aluminum hulls. The price looks good if you can get it from a commercial SW seller. I’ve never tried it, but the USCG boat guys I talked to said it worked ok.
I think the SW with copper is N51B301. I’m not sure. The Aluminum hull antifouling is called SeaVoyage and I’ve ordered some so we shall see next year.
Happy trails to you.
The manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 14:06   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 43T Telstar keel

So, I got a clear answer on this and wanted to share with everyone... They have two types of bottom paint as of writing this. The first one is the P50 type. It is designed for commercial steel hull boats. After talking to them they did not suggest using it on fiberglass. They have a copper free paint that is the N51 variety. Their marine guy told me it works best if you use their B67 epoxy barrier coating system and then a tie coat of their primer before laying down the bottom paint.

Quite frankly... Did not inspire confidence. I am going to choose a different paint as I do not believe Sherwin Williams has their act together for fiberglass pleasure craft.

Just my $0.02

Phil
CharmCityBoater is offline   Reply With Quote