Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2024, 17:36   #1

Shore power switch

I have 2 receptacles on my boat for AC power. One 15A and other 30A. I want to install a transfer switch to select either source. Can I have recommendation for the products available?
Thank you,
tant
tant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 03:09   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Shore power switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tant View Post
I have 2 receptacles on my boat for AC power. One 15A and other 30A. I want to install a transfer switch to select either source. Can I have recommendation for the products available?
Thank you,
tant

I know very little about electrical switching so don't take my advice without checking with an expert.

Would one of these do the job? My search did nominate 240V but I can't see the voltage mentioned in the specifications??

DON'T THINK OF BUYING FROM THIS SELLER (LOUSY FEED BACK)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/5AoAAOSwKn5k1ap1/s-l1600.jpg
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 03:58   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Hi, Tant, and to the forum. I recommend adding your location and boat description to your profile. That will help others tailor their responses to you.

Could you clarify the purpose of the switch - why you want to add one? I mean, if I understand correctly, you can connect either a 30A shore power cable or a 15A one. Would you ever have both cables connected between the boat and shore power outlets? Does each of your shore power plugs have its own breaker? Are the boat sides of both breakers joined together to power your AC system? Is the point of the switch so that you can't accidentally have live prongs on the unused plug?
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 04:28   #4

Boat: Mirage 35

Make sure the switch is "break before make", i.e. will not connect both inputs at the same time, even for a millisecond.

Just for the time when someone isn't thinking and leaves both cords plugged in.
Old 29-02-2024, 05:07   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Thank you,
tant
Here’s another option to consider: remove the 15A inlet and use an adapter cable so the 30A inlet can accept a 15A cable.

I find that a much cleaner, preferable solution.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 05:23   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Here’s another option to consider: remove the 15A inlet and use an adapter cable so the 30A inlet can accept a 15A cable.

I find that a much cleaner, preferable solution.
+1

It looks like a pigtail adapter is going to be cheaper than a 30A source selector switch, and there is no installation work. I use a pigtail adapter while the boat is in the yard, and it has been hassle-free, other than once, someone else "borrowed" it. I was glad I had put my name on it.
Old 29-02-2024, 05:35   #7

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
+1 It looks like a pigtail adapter is going to be cheaper than a 30A source selector switch, and there is no installation work. I use a pigtail adapter while the boat is in the yard, and it has been hassle-free, other than once, someone else "borrowed" it. I was glad I had put my name on it.
WOW!! $AUD242.00

https://beesactive.com/products/conntek-marine-shore-pigtail-adapter-cord-30-amp-shore-male-plug-to-15-amp-connentor-led-indicator?variant=31828661174341
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 06:05   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The adapter I saw at Defender was only $60 USD ($92 AUD). I did not do any comparison shopping or checking for quality. I suspect the OP needs a pigtail with a 30A female end and 15 male end, but it would be up to Tant to confirm their usage requirements.

The cheapest AC source switch at Defender was double the price of a pigtail adapter.
Old 29-02-2024, 07:00   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

15 A connectors are not approved under the electrical code for shore power connections. When you see them around docks they are ONLY for power tools and the cords must be disconnected. They can be used on RVs and for charging your trailer boat at home, which is why you see the adapters etc. But not for shore power.

Just sayin'. Look it up.
Old 29-02-2024, 07:26   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

That’s the wrong adapter. The 30A inlet is male so you need an adapter with a 30A female to a 15A male. You can then use a 15A extension cord to connect to a regular 15A outlet.
It’s only $50, see attachment

The inverter needs to have it’s limit changed from 30A down to 15A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5208.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	286980  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 17:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Hi, Tant, and to the forum. I recommend adding your location and boat description to your profile. That will help others tailor their responses to you.

Could you clarify the purpose of the switch - why you want to add one? I mean, if I understand correctly, you can connect either a 30A shore power cable or a 15A one. Would you ever have both cables connected between the boat and shore power outlets? Does each of your shore power plugs have its own breaker? Are the boat sides of both breakers joined together to power your AC system? Is the point of the switch so that you can't accidentally have live prongs on the unused plug?

Hi JoeRobertJr,
Thanks for the recommendation and thanks to everyone who replied to my question. Yes, there are two power outlets but they don't have separate switch. If one has shore power plugged, other one will be live. 15A is female and in the anchor locker so minimal risk. 30A is at the midship and has cover. Even though it is minimal, there is a risk that someone can plug both outlets to shore power.

I tend to remove 15A outlet and its connection and will use pigtail adapter as suggested.

Thanks again everyone and appreciate the help from the community.

Tan
tant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 19:43   #12

why would you have those inlets when you can just buy a 30 to 15 adapter instead...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 19:44   #13

Quote:
Hi JoeRobertJr,
Thanks for the recommendation and thanks to everyone who replied to my question. Yes, there are two power outlets but they don't have separate switch. If one has shore power plugged, other one will be live. 15A is female and in the anchor locker so minimal risk. 30A is at the midship and has cover. Even though it is minimal, there is a risk that someone can plug both outlets to shore power.

I tend to remove 15A outlet and its connection and will use pigtail adapter as suggested.

Thanks again everyone and appreciate the help from the community.

Tan
what you have is highly dangerous and illegal. either remove one of the inlets or add a swtich.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power