Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 12:10   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Shortening A Propane Line

I am trying to find out if it is possible to shorten a rubber propane supply line and press on a new fitting. If so can I press the fitting on myself or do I have to take the hose to supplier to have the repair done?
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Shortening A Propane Line

Generally, you cannot press the fitting on yourself, and must take the hose to a propane appliance supplier (or gas fitter) to have the repair done.
It may be just as cheap to purchase a new "stock" hose c/w fittings.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:46   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I am trying to find out if it is possible to shorten a rubber propane supply line and press on a new fitting. If so can I press the fitting on myself or do I have to take the hose to supplier to have the repair done?
Here is a fitting/adaptor with normal propane "male POL to 1/4" NPT" threads, and you could then put a "hose barb to 1/4"" thread on the hose and screw them together. That's not ideal (always better to avoid an extra connection) but would work. I see this quite often on propane torches.

The press fittings require a specific crimping die to be gas tight
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 13:16   #4

Boat: Irwin 40

I would not recommend using a hose barb too much danger of leakage. A small leak collecting in the bilge can make a big explosion. Do it right and no worries. Gord may be right might be easier and cost effective to just replace the hose. And why not just put a loop in the hose to take up slack? nothing wrong with that if the hose and fittings are otherwise in good shape.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 13:18   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

On our boat there are no fittings. The rubber hoses snug fit the tubes and are secured with hose clamps. It is all low pressure end.

I bet commercially pressed fittings are very neat and probably tighter.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 13:23   #6

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Whatever you do, get a new hose. They only last so long.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 13:28   #7

Boat: Irwin 40

ABYC recommends all hoses and fitting be designed for LP gas and have permanently attached fittings such as swaged fittings sleeve or sleeve on thread. Barbs and any fitting requiring a hose clamp does not apply. (See ABYC A-1) Why take risks with something so potentially dangerous? Barnakiel I strongly recommend you upgrade your system. I have had 3 close calls with systems such as yours during a survey, lost my eye brows once and set a boat on fire another time and all I did was light the stove to test it. (neadless to say I no longer will light stoves and only do a presure drop test)
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 14:05   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
ABYC recommends all hoses and fitting be designed for LP gas and have permanently attached fittings such as swaged fittings sleeve or sleeve on thread. Barbs and any fitting requiring a hose clamp does not apply....
... neadless to say I no longer will light stoves and only do a presure drop test)
Excerpted from ABYC A-1 MARINE LIQUEFIED PETROLEUM GAS (LPG) SYSTEMS
A-1.9.3 Flexible LPG supply line shall be equipped with permanently attached end fittings, such as a swaged sleeve or sleeve and threaded insert.

A-1.9.4 Metal tubing shall be connected by means of flare fittings.

NOTE: “Long nut” flare fittings should be used. The short nut type fitting used in refrigeration systems can precipitate fatigue failure due to vibration.
A-1.10.1 The fuel supply line and fittings shall be tested with air pressure of not less than 5 psi (35 kPa). This test shall be performed after installation, but prior to connection to the regulator and appliance(s).

A-1.10.2 The cylinder valve shall be checked for leakage at its connection to the cylinder by application of a leak detection fluid prior to connection to the system.

A-1.10.3 After the above tests, the complete system shall be connected and shall be subjected to the following pressure test.

A-1.10.3.1 With the appliance valves off, open the cylinder supply valve. Close the cylinder supply valve. Observe the pressure gauge reading. The pressure indicated should remain constant for not less than three minutes. If any leakage is indicated by a drop in pressure, check the entire system with a leak detection fluid or detergent solution to locate the leak. Test solutions shall be noncorrosive and non-toxic. Repairs shall be made before retesting and operating the system.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 14:17   #9

Boat: Westsail 32

The issue is I have a deck box that holds the tanks. There is a slight crack at the end of the hose that attaches at rthe regulator as a result of to long a length of hose and the prior owner bending it to fit. The length of hose run to the stove is considerable and the routing pathway challanging. Oh well, the quest continues.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 14:31   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Here's another vote for just replacing the line. With a 32' foot boat the run can only be so long. I put a propane stove in our 35' Pretorien and I think I used the 15' length but as you can see there are lots of choices between 2' and 40' available. Something should work.

TRIDENT RUBBER Assembled LPG Supply Hoses at West Marine

Tags
propane