Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2020, 00:50   #31

Boat: Racer/Crusier Columbia, 40
Re: Should I keep fridge on while away

If your getting too your boat every two weeks then it would be fine. Even better if you have a back up system, for if the shore power does get cut off for what ever reason, like solar panels or wind generator and you got good sun or wind and it is in the summer when the condition should fairly be good then you should be fine. But if your going to be away for some time like months and it is in the winter months when the sun is not dependable, unless you have a win generator, if not then I would consider powering off that system. Because even with solar panels and not an adequate battery bank the solar panels and no wind generator, solar will not keep up! That was my main problem with group 27 batteries and two, one hundred watt panels then replace with two 160 watts of solar panels and in the rainy season with no clean bilge where my float switch got stuck on, my batteries got drain and became no good. So if everything is in order you might do just fine.
Old 20-07-2020, 06:50   #32

Boat: CT47 Ketch

I routinely read the topics of interest, and once in a while I learn something. AHEM, well, more than once in a while! This is a great idea for the weekend sailor. Sit a quarter on top of the ice tray. And I second the idea about keeping the refrigerator somewhat full. A refrigerator struggles trying to keep air cool. I believe that it struggles sensing the temperature and goes on and off a lot. If you keep several bottles/cans of fluids in there routinely, the sensing cycle goes way down, as the fluids stabilize the internal temperature. You will have fewer but longer cycles

We ran a club, and so we were obligated to keep everything clean. In this case, or if you expect to not return to the vessel for 2 weeks or more, wipe the inside out and prop something in the door to keep it open, boats do move about, and there will be some ingeniously designed catch that will latch the door closed and create problems inside.
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 08:16   #33

One thing I do on boats and my camp is to freeze half a bottle of water on its side. When I leave I set the bottle upright and make sure it can’t fall over. If I come back and the water is all at the bottom of the bottle I know the power went out at some time enough to thaw the water and any perishables should be thrown out. Dock boats can lose power when the marina is working or a breaker trips and no one notices.
BlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 08:59   #34

Boat: Back Cove 33

If you do not keep it on, you must leave the door open a little or it will get moldy. Also I’m not an engineer, but it might take more energy to start it up again than leaving it on. Then you have to wipe it down inside because it will be funky. I always leave some drinks and water and some energy bars so I have something, and any critters from the dock can’t be tempted.
Adiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 09:15   #35

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

As a weekend cruiser, I normally turn the fridge off and leave it open during the week. I then load it the day before we leave with cold food and drinks and top it with a pack of ice (to avoid excessive loads on the fridge), so that by the next day it’s good to go.
More work (definitely), but it’s also good to always have a perfectly defrosted and clean fridge.
Old 20-07-2020, 09:30   #36
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

why would you leave it running with nothing in it? home refrigerators are different IMHO but on the boat I leave it off and open.
Old 20-07-2020, 10:18   #37

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AST View Post
Hi

I am usually on my boat every other weekend. And I never leave anything in the fridge. Should I keep the fridge powered while I am away? If not should I keep the fridge door open? The boat is onshore power when I am away but I just don't see why I should keep the fridge running while I am away.

Any thoughts on that?
Thanks
In your case, would suggest turning the fridge off and leave the door (securely) open. The fridge compressor is overloaded if cooling just air. If water cooled system, you also add the pump and plumbing (and additional flooding risk) to the unnecessary wear and tear.

To get a quick cooling when back on board I would bring a bag or two of ice cubes or better; frozen gel cool packs.
Old 20-07-2020, 11:32   #38

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

I leave mine on since I am at the boat a couple of times a week and I like cold fluids on the boat without having to haul a cooler.

Sounds like more of the replies were for fridges that operated with a temperature sensor. Mine is the primitive type, that cycles on and off according to the setting of the control knob. The cycle time doesn't factor in the temp inside the fridge.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 15:30   #39

I would be curious to get an informed opinion as to the subject of wear and tear on the fridge and freezer components when deciding whether to leave the units running or not. For example, are these like engines and you only get so many hours of operation?
mark lennoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 15:33   #40

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark lennoc View Post
I would be curious to get an informed opinion as to the subject of wear and tear on the fridge and freezer components when deciding whether to leave the units running or not. For example, are these like engines and you only get so many hours of operation?

Yes, the compressors and fans and such will wear more from more use. But in light, infrequent use, typically you'd end up with a failure due to corrosion somewhere, a vibration related refrigerant leak, other external factors, etc. before wearing it out. So there's probably not much useful life to be gained by using it less.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 16:25   #41

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Mine has been on continuously for 15 years (Danfoss BD50 air cooled). Shore power for 13 years, 200 watts of solar now.

Bet somebody does/will have an alarm system to call you if it warms up. Five or so years back I added a $10 ebay temp controller with a red light to remind me that I have turned the compressor off while using the HF radio. Saved the bacon on several ocassions. Could replace the red light with flashing strobe, mortar, siren, or fire works display to get outside attention.

Frankly

Did have to replace the compressor fan couple of years back.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 17:15   #42
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

Quote:
Yes, Luke, you got it wrong. The 7-11s are plural, not possessive. Also, an earlier post (not you) had a your for you are, so should have been you’re.

Then there is less and few, which a national toilet paper company got wrong on their packaging
If you wish to teach your (not you're) children correct grammar never allow them to read boating forums!
Old 21-07-2020, 07:29   #43

My fridge has been running for 2 years straight. No problems. Do you shut off you home fridge if you go aways for a couple weeks? While we are at it, I leave the hot water heater on too.
dreuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 10:23   #44

That’s a good point dreuge assuming the components were comparable.
mark lennoc is offline   Reply With Quote