Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2020, 17:39   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Shower Fit Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I'm now putting floors (sole) at two slightly different levels in my aft cockpit.(The higher level one will be where the toilet is)

I've downloaded two brochures on compost toilets and one of them states there is no pee bottle: just a tube. I have yet to check it out but I think the toilet is above sea level so I could put a very small outlet through the hull to empty the pee.

I suppose you've seen the YouTube videos on how to make a compost toilet?
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...compost+toilet
Yes. I’m cheating with the tube hopefully too.

I’ve already built and used a composting toilet and I’m hooked. The bowl was never right for the girlfriend. It was quick and dirty just to see if we like composting toilets. This time I’m getting it right.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 18:50   #17

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/531354456012159753/

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...oilet&_sacat=0
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:31   #18

Chotu

I'm looking for a design that I can copy when I build my own compost toilet and came across this one. It is much cheaper than others so I'm going to have a close look at it. Is it any good?

https://www.boat-renovation.com/simp...a-full-review/

Old 04-12-2020, 02:38   #19

Copy?

At that price I’d just buy this head. It’s perfect, actually.

The only thing I see is see how the bowl is split 50/50 for diverting urine?

We found dropping the solids was easier to aim while urine a little less so for women. So, I’m devoting 2/3 or so to urine and 1/3 to solids in the bowl.

For this price, though, I’d probably just buy this thing. Depends on what you want to spend your time doing.

Quote:
Chotu

I'm looking for a design that I can copy when I build my own compost toilet and came across this one. It is much cheaper than others so I'm going to have a close look at it. Is it any good?

Old 04-12-2020, 02:39   #20
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:
Chotu

We have seen this one and have seen other boats that have used it and are very happy. We stripped our sea toilet out and are going to put one of these in after Christmas
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:53   #21

Also, does anyone know the brand name of the super thin, flexible, yet stiff shower panels in the USA. As usual, plenty of great products in Australia and the UK but then I can’t find their equivalent in the USA.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Also, does anyone know the brand name of the super thin, flexible, yet stiff shower panels in the USA. As usual, plenty of great products in Australia and the UK but then I can’t find their equivalent in the USA.

Can you see what you want here? (I used Duckduckgo "flexible shower panel cutain")

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=flexible+s...-Rod-Cover.jpg
Old 04-12-2020, 03:18   #23

Quote:
Can you see what you want here? (I used Duckduckgo "flexible shower panel cutain")

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=flexible+s...-Rod-Cover.jpg

That comes up with the plastic thin film part you slide open and closed to keep water from spraying all over the bathroom while showering. We call that the shower curtain in the states.

I’m trying too find the appropriate panels that are just a little bit more flexible than vertical grade Formica/Wilsonart/high pressure laminate. So I can take the hull curve with them and keep them stuck on there.

I see all the great AU and UK products. But in the USA it’s all different names. And mostly very thick and heavy things to adhere to the wall.

Side note. CAN I use Formica/Wilsonart/high pressure laminate for the shower wall??
Old 04-12-2020, 03:47   #24

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Fiberglass reinforced plastic or FRP is used in bathrooms all the time, showers included. FRP has gone high end and there are some really cool looking options now. There is also a thinner really flexible sheet which might be vinyl which my local HD store carries. I was going to use it for a project but they stacked about 50 sheets on top of their racks with no solid layer like plywood under so they all got dented just from the weight of themselves.

We used to install FRP by buying standard Liquid Nails in a 5 gallon pail and using a notched trowel. Maybe the vinyl would install the same way?
Kerdi tile waterproofing was mentioned but that epoxy has already accomplished that task so you can forego that step.
I vote for vinylester or even polyester fairing and then a good 2 part paint to seal everything up. Poly has worked on cars and boats for half a century and they get wet.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
That comes up with the plastic thin film part you slide open and closed to keep water from spraying all over the bathroom while showering. We call that the shower curtain in the states.

I’m trying too find the appropriate panels that are just a little bit more flexible than vertical grade Formica/Wilsonart/high pressure laminate. So I can take the hull curve with them and keep them stuck on there.

I see all the great AU and UK products. But in the USA it’s all different names. And mostly very thick and heavy things to adhere to the wall.

Side note. CAN I use Formica/Wilsonart/high pressure laminate for the shower wall??

I've used Formica on the ceiling (underside of deck) of my galley. But Formica cannot take a compound curve ie bend in two directions. I just googled waterproof panel compound curves and came up with

https://multipanel.com.au/about

but they are an Australian firm. If you google it you may come up with an American firm making a similar product.

Might be worth googling Multipanel to see if they have an outlet in the USA
Old 04-12-2020, 04:11   #26

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

You need post forming laminate to bend the curves btw which is not stocked at your local Covid store. The substrate needs to be really smooth. I have tried gluing Formica with non contact cement glues with no success. It's impossible to get flat, the glue causes bumps.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:48   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
You need post forming laminate to bend the curves btw which is not stocked at your local Covid store. The substrate needs to be really smooth. I have tried gluing Formica with non contact cement glues with no success. It's impossible to get flat, the glue causes bumps.
Boy have I been experimenting with bonding Formica.

Contact cement is good. Polyester is wow!!! Can’t move it ever again.

Post forming laminate sounds quite interesting. I’ll give it a google.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:53   #28

Quote:
I've used Formica on the ceiling (underside of deck) of my galley. But Formica cannot take a compound curve ie bend in two directions. I just googled waterproof panel compound curves and came up with

https://multipanel.com.au/about

but they are an Australian firm. If you google it you may come up with an American firm making a similar product.

Might be worth googling Multipanel to see if they have an outlet in the USA
Thanks for the link. I’ll check multipanel.

I don’t exactly need to do a compound curve. The area is short enough in a fore and aft sense that it has almost no fore and aft curve to it. I was able to shove a sheet of vertical grade Formica in place, but don’t know if it’s appropriate to glue to a flat surface or withstand getting splashed and steam.

I would seal all seams, so it should be ok, but I want to use the right material.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Fiberglass reinforced plastic or FRP is used in bathrooms all the time, showers included. FRP has gone high end and there are some really cool looking options now. There is also a thinner really flexible sheet which might be vinyl which my local HD store carries. I was going to use it for a project but they stacked about 50 sheets on top of their racks with no solid layer like plywood under so they all got dented just from the weight of themselves.
Interesting. Is it lightweight? Not like that crumbly FRP with the bumpy surface they’ve had for years, right? The stuff that weighs a ton and cracks apart of you look at it wrong?

Quote:

We used to install FRP by buying standard Liquid Nails in a 5 gallon pail and using a notched trowel. Maybe the vinyl would install the same way?
Kerdi tile waterproofing was mentioned but that epoxy has already accomplished that task so you can forego that step.
Possibly. I’ll see.

Quote:

I vote for vinylester or even polyester fairing and then a good 2 part paint to seal everything up. Poly has worked on cars and boats for half a century and they get wet.
I mean, yes. This was my original plan. However, it would make the project literally 10 times longer. And incredibly more expensive because I’ll have to hire someone to do sanding to try to make the timeline.

I’m looking at using very lightweight, prefinished surfaces where feasible to speed things up. I had realized that by the time I trowel on a fairing compound and sand smooth paint it, I have essentially the same weight into it as a sheet of vertical Formica. So why not speed it up?
Old 04-12-2020, 06:23   #30

Boat: Bateau FS17

I know you said no epoxy, I'm not sure what other reason you can use but I've wondered about this some.

You know the decorative epoxy floors and countertops?
Can you do that same thing with something besides epoxy?

On a table/horizontal surface make your own decorative liners with very glossy nice finishes. 1/4" foam with light glass as the panel with the decorative self leveling "pour" over that, then installed into your shower or backsplash areas as needed?

I am really happy with the epoxy floors and counters we did in our house and have thought that would be a good way to finish in a boat as well, but do not know.
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower