Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2020, 06:49   #31

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Shower Fit Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfi View Post
I know you said no epoxy, I'm not sure what other reason you can use but I've wondered about this some.

You know the decorative epoxy floors and countertops?
Can you do that same thing with something besides epoxy?

On a table/horizontal surface make your own decorative liners with very glossy nice finishes. 1/4" foam with light glass as the panel with the decorative self leveling "pour" over that, then installed into your shower or backsplash areas as needed?

I am really happy with the epoxy floors and counters we did in our house and have thought that would be a good way to finish in a boat as well, but do not know.

Some good outside the box thinking.

I’m hoping there is some premade paneling available on the USA for this so I can save the time. But, it may be a good fall back idea.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:10   #32

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
That comes up with the plastic thin film part you slide open and closed to keep water from spraying all over the bathroom while showering. We call that the shower curtain in the states.

I’m trying too find the appropriate panels that are just a little bit more flexible than vertical grade Formica/Wilsonart/high pressure laminate. So I can take the hull curve with them and keep them stuck on there.

I see all the great AU and UK products. But in the USA it’s all different names. And mostly very thick and heavy things to adhere to the wall.

Side note. CAN I use Formica/Wilsonart/high pressure laminate for the shower wall??
Go talk to a commercial sign maker. The material they use can be heated under infra red lamps and then vacuum formed over a mold to make the plastic raised letter signs you see everywhere.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 14:30   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
Go talk to a commercial sign maker. The material they use can be heated under infra red lamps and then vacuum formed over a mold to make the plastic raised letter signs you see everywhere.
Sounds like a good idea!

I’ll check on this. I do have vacuum equipment still from building the hull.
Old 07-12-2020, 15:35   #34

So, I went to Home Depot. Nothing.

They didn’t have acrylic shower panels, they didn’t have anything. They had two types of panels. The old FRP panel with the ridges they have had for the last 15 years that chips and falls apart. And a new vinyl panel that is very rough like a fabric feeling to it. Definitely not something you want for a shower.
Old 07-12-2020, 15:36   #35

I guess I have to take a look at that sign maker. And then after all of this, I probably could have just put the resin on and sanded it. But then there’s the rest of the boat also. So it would be nice to find a system that works.

Tags
shower