Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 13:34   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Side loading propane locker

Talk about drift. How did we get this from a side loading LPG locker?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 14:33   #17

Boat: Vancouver 27

Hi wildernessdave, I have a sister ship to you..a 1982 Pheon V27. I've had 3 surveys done for various reasons since I took ownership and this never came up in any of them. As someone else said, I'm guessing your surveyor might have put that under his list of recommendations and not requirements??

I would never have imagined this being a potential issue. The locker is as you say..well designed and gasketed. It would be a serious PITA to modify and I have never heard of another V27, V28, or any other Vancouver having to undertake this.

There is an owner's association and a Facebook page Vancouver Yachts Association - the original builder of the Pheon V27s is still active and could probably help you navigate this.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 15:09   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernessdave View Post
My wife and I just purchased a Vancouver 27 sailboat built in England in 1984. The survey came out well, with only minor upgrades and repairs. The thing that needs the most immediate attention is the propane system.

We will need to add a solinoid, add a pressure guage, new hoses, and a propane sniffer in the bulge, which we see as good things that are important safety upgrades.

However, the surveyor also stated that the propane locker is side loading and is not ABYC compliant so it should be replaced with a top loading propane locker.

The side loading locker drains to the outside and is well sealed with a gasket. If propane were to leak through the gasket there are two large cockpit drains that drain out above the waterline that are directly in front of the door of the propane locker. The propane locker is encorporated into the stern end of the cockpit.

This is a factory installed system and we feel total comfortable with the locker once we upgrade the hoses, regulator, solinoid, and all other aspects of the propane system that are recommended by the surveyor.

I would appreciate other peoples input on this and I am also wondering if others have had luck getting an insurance company to except a side loading propane locker with a gasket like this.

Thanks!
I don't think you'll get an easy answer to this -- it's a judgement call which you'll have to make yourself.

A few things you might consider in making up your mind:

1. Is the locker itself separately drained, and correctly? That means drain at low point of the locker, no kinks in the line, no way for water to stand in the line, no way for the outlet to be under water, no significant risk of communication with the boat interior.

2. Do the cockpit drains meet the above standard?

3. Is the cockpit arranged in a way that there is no significant risk of propane flowing from the cockpit into the interior of the boat? Are there hatches in the cockpit sides into quarter berths etc.?

4. Do you ever have anyone smoking in the cockpit?

I don't like propane on boats altogether -- the risks to me seem unreasonable. But sometimes there's no good alternative. I use it on my boat and you will probably not have much choice either.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, propane