Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2013, 06:55   #1

Significantly Less Expensive Paint and Fiberglass Supplies, Merton's Marine

Has anyone used or heard anything good/bad about Merton's Marine Merton's Fiberglass & Marine Supply for fiberglass, paint, etc.?

It looks like their product selection is a limited and you must place order by phone but their prices are considerably lower than Jamestown, Defender, Hamilton Marine and WM.

Wondering if there is a reason for the price difference.
moonie5961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 08:16   #2

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Re: Significantly less expensive paint and fiberglass supplies, Merton's Marine

no kidding they are lower. I make it a point to get my big project stuff there, and going there is always a pleasure. He is great, knowledgeable, kind, and helpful. As close as you can get to a cruiser's mentality but living on land. First I heard of Mertons was back in 2003 when a kid at the front counter at Jamestown distributors told me where they get their gel coat from. I was complaining to him about 80$/gal for gel coat. At the time, JD was selling at about 100% markup. The rest is history .
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 09:30   #3

Good to know, thank you!
Old 15-05-2013, 15:28   #4

I just placed a pretty large order with Merton's.

I priced out the order at Jamestown Distributors, which was cheaper than West Marine and Defender.

The price at Merton's was about 20% less expensive than Jamestown, even when a free shipping promotion was applied to the JD order and full shipping was paid for Merton's.

Will report back after I receive the order.
Old 23-05-2013, 14:50   #5

Update: My order came in right on time without any surprises, packed nicely. Saved a few hundred bucks, will definitely use Merton's next time if they have the products I need.
Old 23-05-2013, 16:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Uh, I would like to hear from someone with a few posts behind their belt about this outfit. I don't say its a scam, but I am careful for a reason. If this outfit is as good as the two posters say it is, there will be other CF's that have used them.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 17:24   #7

I have been using them for about 10-15 yrs. The guy is just an oldfashion type businessman. He advertises in the yellow sheet. He targets mostly commercial type business. He has never done me wrong. If you have a problem he does his best to help. Two thumbs up.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 18:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Uh, I would like to hear from someone with a few posts behind their belt about this outfit. I don't say its a scam, but I am careful for a reason. If this outfit is as good as the two posters say it is, there will be other CF's that have used them.

I guess I can understand your suspicion but sorry, no spam, shenanigans or conspiracy here. I've been a lurker/occasional poster since 2009, for what that's worth.

I searched CF and a few other forums to see if they were legit before placing a large order, but didn't find any reviews. I was suspicious of the significant price difference from other suppliers. I posted to ask, didn't get much of a response, so I thought I'd post my experience to let future searchers know that I had a good experience and the waters were safe.

Also hoped that a positive review might send some extra business to a small business with awesome prices.

Of course, this could all be part of an elaborate, 4 year long ruse to conduct subtle commercial espionage in an obscure thread in a remote corner of the internetz...
Old 23-05-2013, 20:06   #9

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie5961 View Post
I guess I can understand your suspicion but sorry, no spam, shenanigans or conspiracy here. I've been a lurker/occasional poster since 2009, for what that's worth.

I searched CF and a few other forums to see if they were legit before placing a large order, but didn't find any reviews. I was suspicious of the significant price difference from other suppliers. I posted to ask, didn't get much of a response, so I thought I'd post my experience to let future searchers know that I had a good experience and the waters were safe.

Also hoped that a positive review might send some extra business to a small business with awesome prices.

Of course, this could all be part of an elaborate, 4 year long ruse to conduct subtle commercial espionage in an obscure thread in a remote corner of the internetz...
Thank you for being upfront about the conspiracy. Now, if you could have only done it some time ago, I could have saved a bunch of money on something other than my car insurance:-)
Old 23-05-2013, 20:45   #10

Boat: hunter 376
Re: Significantly Less Expensive Paint and Fiberglass Supplies, Merton's Marine

I'm not sure why so few people seem to understand why a store carrying a $1,000,000 inventory and 5000 square feet of retail space charge higher prices than a small store ordering what you need, or an online supplier who pays nothing for store space or inventory. This has come up in several threads where people are accusing the big marine retailers of being a rip-off.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 21:57   #11

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Significantly Less Expensive Paint and Fiberglass Supplies, Merton's Marine

I buy System Three epoxy and paint, fiberglass, bronze screws etc from there. I have always been happy with them.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, marine, paint