Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 15:53   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Allow at least 5 min, for the electrode to stabalise.

And rinse it off really well with fresh water after your done, and I think there was something about protective caps, and maybe a sealed bag for storage? I think O2 may oxidize some part and render it not as effective?

Only one I have used, I borrowed, it came from Boatzincs and had very good step by step instructions.
Thinking now it may have been dont remove the plastic caps, so read the directions before you even really take it out
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 00:24   #17

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
Once you have the half cell.....how do you use it? I understand plugging it into the (-) terminal on a digital VOM, then connect/touch the (+) probe to an operating piece of DC equipment, and record the reading for each piece of on-board DC equipment. And the one/ones with a significantly higher reading is likely leaking DC power to the water?......But where do you touch with the (+) probe? The (-) power connection, the (+) power connection, the (metal) body, or??? Any advice/information would be very much appreciated, as I seem to have an issue on the f/g boat that is knocking bottom paint off the thru-hulls.
As mentioned the manual you get is pretty good. However here's some additional stuff you might find interesting-

https://youtu.be/TV6SvBQShgA
https://youtu.be/TV6SvBQShgA (not as reliable but at a pinch may be better than nothing). Bilge pumps are one of the usual suspects. and
https://www.fluke.com/en/learn/blog/...at-a-boat-dock (not corrosion related, but along the same lines safety related).

I hope this helps.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:34   #18

Does anyone know a UK source for a silver silver chloride electrode?
thanks
numbernine is offline   Reply With Quote