Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2017, 11:39   #31

Boat: B24
Re: Single Handed Maintenance/Tool Techniques

Good thread -- there are about as many ways to skin a cat as there are cats, but the trick is to have to the required tool... When I used to ride long-pavement bikes, I used to have a rule that anything I knew how to repair at home, I had to have a tool with me that allowed me to do it on the road... In the case of bikes and aircraft I often had to hunt for lightweight/multi-use variations of the shop tools (like that wrench link above), but I found that if I got decent tools I had few insurmountable repair issues on the road -- that's 45-plus years and 400K+ miles and only once did I get towed home and that was because GEICO insisted on it). On the boat it isn't quite the weight issue generally present with bikes and aircraft, so decent quality shop tools are creeping aboard our boat -- I'm only now starting to think through the longer-range sailing issues... but back to the maxim if I know how to patch-up, repair or put together things at home, then the tool(as) should be with me.

I'm going to order that wrench...
Old 22-10-2017, 12:02   #32

Back to fitting deck hardware - anyone tried using A2/A4 coach bolts - just need to file hole square on topside then work from below - would only work if wrench can be operated freely.
jembscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 13:29   #33

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

A battery electric impact wrench/driver is a great help when working alone.
It allows you to position the bolts in the holes,go to the other end,start the nuts with fingers & tighten with the impact wrench. The nuts are spun on so fast that the bolt usually doesn't turn.
These electric drivers are available from dozens of brands in 1/4 " hex drive & 1/2" (ratchet) sq drive & are good for about any type of screw fastener

Len

Old 22-10-2017, 15:19   #34

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
When I was a kid I had a set of Craftsman screw drivers that had a clip system to hold the screw. They were awesome!

Havent seen such in decades, so asked my pro mechanic stepson about similar tools...nope, he didnt know of any either. He also just uses a bit of whatever to hold the screw in place.
You can make the equivalent by taking two paper clips and rubber banding them to opposite sides of the screwdriver.

I have a couple of those types of screwdrivers. Unfortunately they are both straight slot. They are fantastic for putting small screws on terminal strips holding ring terminals.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 15:58   #35

Boat: Hunter passage42

Be nice if the ss. hardware came as Robertson heads instead of Phillips and Slot.
degouwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 16:25   #36

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
Two man job made a one man job. Of course using butyl tape, it should never be needed again!??!! There is very little I do that requires me to rely of help.
Who made those stanchion bases? They look similar to the Shaefer bases but beefier. I see unpolished welds so I am thinking maybe you made them.

I have the Shaefer bases and I am thinking of squaring the holes and using carriage bolt on the next refit.

Very cool tool by the way.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 03:32   #37

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Who made those stanchion bases? They look similar to the Shaefer bases but beefier. I see unpolished welds so I am thinking maybe you made them.

I have the Shaefer bases and I am thinking of squaring the holes and using carriage bolt on the next refit.

Very cool tool by the way.
I had them re-welded as a couple of welds had broke loose. Dremel's do wonders. I will polish some time. I probably would have replaced them but I couldn't find exact footprint. (40 yr old boat)
Old 23-10-2017, 05:04   #38

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by degouwb View Post
Be nice if the ss. hardware came as Robertson heads instead of Phillips and Slot.
You not looking in the right places. I have tons of Robertson head SS hardware aboard our boat. Bought a bunch of it at Edmonton Nut and Bolt.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 06:06   #39

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
Cool. Someone still makes them. Spendy screw driver though.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 06:08   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
I swear by these too, a great tool, one pair lives on my boat, the other in my kitchen drawer along with 15 in 1 screwdriver, pair of pliers, needle nose pliers and a really great pair of pipe grips that will go right up to 70mm even though it says 2" on the side. Made by Rothenberger.

The other useful tools for singlehanded use are finger spanners that clip on your finger and hold a nut or bolt with little springs inside, great for reaching hard to get at spots and getting a nut on or starting a bolt without it dropping out of its hole. Always have roll of waterproof gaffer tape on the boat which can be used to hold a spanner, as well as many other uses.
Got a link to "finger spanners"...never seen those.
Old 23-10-2017, 15:12   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
When I was a kid I had a set of Craftsman screw drivers that had a clip system to hold the screw. They were awesome!

Havent seen such in decades, so asked my pro mechanic stepson about similar tools...nope, he didnt know of any either. He also just uses a bit of whatever to hold the screw in place.
Hi

You can still get them - I got another from Sears last time I was in the States in 2016.

Another option would be to check out where carpenters shop as they are very handy with brass screws.

I also got a clip-on magnet to go on spanners to hold either a nut or bolt head in place if required (no good with 316 though...).

Cheers Tom
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 15:17   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineteen View Post
Hi

You can still get them - I got another from Sears last time I was in the States in 2016.

Another option would be to check out where carpenters shop as they are very handy with brass screws.

I also got a clip-on magnet to go on spanners to hold either a nut or bolt head in place if required (no good with 316 though...).

Cheers Tom
Oh and +1 for superglue. We often glue the washer to the nut for those hard to reach areas. The glue usualy shears as the washer comes under load so it is not an issue.
Cheers Tom
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 15:40   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineteen View Post
Hi

Cheers Tom
Really, well if I am ever back in the States I will have to find a Sears...though they are much more scarce these days.

Edit: I did find a variety of screw holding screw drivers on the Sears web site. Different design than the old ones, but same function.
Old 23-10-2017, 16:06   #44

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
When working singlehanded learning how to heave-to was a critical element of most of my repairs
If the autopilot is still working, I usually keep sailing.

A few years ago when I first got the boat I was a bit seasick after sailing across a rough 20 mile section of the bay and had to go forward to work on a jammed roller furler in 20 knot winds. Several trips back and forth to the cabin were required for tools but I finally got it fixed. (without blowing chunks)

I was about 1/2 mile from coming into my creek when it jammed. I wanted to decrease sail coming in but couldn't

The only time I have heaved too for repairs was for a battery problem that affected the autopilot...............
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, single