Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2022, 20:20   #1

Boat: 1980 Beneteau First 35
Skegs and structural integrity

Hi All,

Should a skeg be entirely rigid?

A Duncanson 37 I'm looking at is on the hard and has minor flex when pushing the base of the skeg laterally by hand, perhaps 5mm each way. Hard to tell if it is flexing down the length of the skeg or if the hull is flexing.

I've read an old thread on this forum discussing this issue, which prompted my testing the skeg in the first place.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/duncanson-37-yachts-76328.html

Any and all opinions appreciated.

Thanks, B
Surfshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 00:09   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Skegs and structural integrity

I would first investigate if it is add on skeg or a molded one.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 00:12   #3

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ir-175344.html
Old 26-12-2022, 00:19   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

The function of a skeg is to protect and support the rudder and if you can flex it by hand it's probably not going to do a very good job of doing so.
Old 26-12-2022, 00:58   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The Duncanson's have a known vulnerability to the boat pox. Maybe the skeg is weakened?

Fwiw, we've had 3 boats with skeg hung rudders, and none of them flexed at all to human pressure on them.

Ann
Old 26-12-2022, 01:08   #6

Boat: 1980 Beneteau First 35

Wow, stellar work by Minaret there.

Very concerning then, the flex. Thanks everyone for your input.

I've used fibreglass a little and am pretty happy doing my homework. Would it be realistic to aim to sandblast then add layers over the skeg/surrounding hull as reinforcement?
Surfshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 05:10   #7

Without knowing the cause, it is difficult to give an opinion, it could be a factory defect, moisture, lack of fg laminate, poor workmanship, osmosis, etc...the skeg should be rock solid, no flex at all, if you can get rid of antifouling, gelcoat or anything else that prevents you from seeing the entire laminate, do a moisture test, look for cracks or anything suspicious and then take a decision to strengthen it.
Old 26-12-2022, 05:31   #8

Boat: beneteau OC 352

Yes. The prop strut should be solid. Our boat beat on the dock and submerged in the slip. When the boatyard picked the boat up, the boat was apparently lifted with the strap under the prop shaft. When I pushed and pulled on the strut it flexed about 1/16in .. very slight.. but it bothered me. I consulted the boatyard and was advised to dismantle the aft cabinets and bed to see what's going on under there. Sure enough the fiberglass around the humb the strut is embedded in was damaged and delaminated. The solution was to drill many holes around the strut . The objective is to drill down to the void and not through the bottom of the boat. Then use the west marine two part epoxy in a caulk tube. Place the tip of the tube in each hole and keep pumping until the epoxy fills the voids and squirts out of the other holes.. when it cured it was solid as a rock

https://www.walmart.com/ip/610-Resin...tems/938095065

Then grind and glass over the cracks around the hump and you're good.
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 12:45   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfshack View Post
Wow, stellar work by Minaret there.

Very concerning then, the flex. Thanks everyone for your input.

I've used fibreglass a little and am pretty happy doing my homework. Would it be realistic to aim to sandblast then add layers over the skeg/surrounding hull as reinforcement?
The successful solution would appear to be dependent upon where the flwxing is occurring.

If the flexing is occurring because the skeg is bending then increasing the wall thickness by applying more glass fibre to stiffen it could fix the problem.

However, it the skeg is flexing because the stresses are not being resisted sufficiently where the skeg is attached to the hull then this would need to be remedied by increasing the structure which distributes the bending loads into the hull.
Old 26-12-2022, 13:49   #10

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfshack View Post
Hi All,

Should a skeg be entirely rigid?

A Duncanson 37 I'm looking at is on the hard and has minor flex when pushing the base of the skeg laterally by hand, perhaps 5mm each way.
Any and all opinions appreciated.

Thanks, B
No such boat is shown on SailboatData.com. Why don't you buy a known brand and model from a reputable builder and respected designer?
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 14:12   #11

Boat: Morgan 382

My boat (Morgan 382) the skeg flexes quite a bit and isn't considered a problem. I don't think it is accurate to say flex is a problem, but I think it depends on the boat. Robert Perry has written about skegs quite a bit. His opinion is that they are very difficult to engineer, and in most cases the rudder is supporting the skeg.

So, while it might be worth investigating, I don't know what is "normal" on the OP's boat. IMO, there might not be any issue at all.
Old 26-12-2022, 14:32   #12

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

All of my larger boats (40-50ft) over the years have had skeg hung rudders. [2 Perry and 1 S&S hulls...]

All rudder skegs were very rigid (I would say as rigid as the solid lead keels) and all served as the lower pivot point for the rudder shaft.

I would be extremely concerned if I was able to flex the skeg by any means.

Flexing while steering underway would exert enormous leverage on the rudder's upper bearing and waterproof seal- I suspect leading to premature failure of those through-hull rudder components, if not diminished rudder travel speed or angle (due to increased friction) or even seizing of the steering system due to excess friction or a bent rudder shaft (if the shaft is too small for the displacement...)

This is just how I would approach your question if it were my vessel; everyone has their own risk tolerance.

FWIW

Cheers! Bill

PS: If you can move the skeg by hand, I would be suspicious that a grounding incident has occurred that involved the rudder and/or skeg.

PPS: I found this image of the skeg and rudder from a Duncanson 37 (in case your's is different...)

Old 26-12-2022, 17:06   #13

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Believe it or not sailboatdata is not the beall and endall,Duncanson yachts were in there day one of the largest yacht and boat builders in the Southern Hemisphere,after the firm folded the moulds were hired around to amateur builders ,as usual some good some not so good,but no the rudder skeg should not flex, not the slightest bit ,the 37 was a split mould joined down the middle including the keel stub and the rudder skeg the lead keel with j bolts bolted on ,normally overbuilt by modern standards ⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 18:29   #14

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
No such boat is shown on SailboatData.com. Why don't you buy a known brand and model from a reputable builder and respected designer?
Just because a boat is uncommon or not well known doesn't make it a bad boat. It just requires a bit more due diligence to determine if it's worth buying.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 19:51   #15

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post

Dear god, what a stupid remark.

There are literally thousands of boats not on Sailboatdata, and many of them are are of a pedigree that far exceeds some of the crap boats on that database.

Stop treating some arbitrary free web site as gospel.

(And, frankly, much of the data on that site is incorrect anyway.)