Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 17:25   #1

Boat: Skookum 53 ketch
Sliding Windows in pilot house, moss included

I've got sliding windows on the side of the pilot house that I need to replace. They are in aluminum frames, the type that have a fiber brush-like weather seal, sort of like what you see for automotive use. Since the boat is in the PNW (Anacortes area), the lower part of the frames also host a substantial moss garden, which probably explains why the windows have to be replaced (full of cracks from trying to free-up the window). It appears that the frame disassembles (or maybe it did 25 years ago) from the inside, but I have no idea how the fiber seal is retained. The glass is not laminated. Has anyone else worked on similiar installations or knows of good websites or references on this????
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 19:09   #2

I bought my new windows from these folks.

Helpful but not cheap.

Marine Sliding Windows & Custom RV Exterior Windows

Charlie
charleskaluza@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 22:26   #3

Boat: Skookum 53 ketch
Thanks Charlie

That glass place certainly looks like to the place to go. Thanks.

Now, I just have to get the frame apart without destroying it (will try an impact screw driver ... they work well with aluminum), and then figure out where to get that fiber-like weather seal
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:43   #4

I carry 3 different heights of high density polypile insulating strips. That is the fancy name for the "fuzz" in sliding windows. It is difficult to measure what you already have, especially after they start to grow. email me at chuck@waterwaysystems.com. I would be happy to send you samples to find the correct match.
Chuck.
waterway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 14:27   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Bill,
I have a similar system of sliding window that uses a U-shaped stainless steel rail and plastic strips attached to "fuzz" so that the window does not slide freely on its own, but does move when you push it. The frame is held in place with bedding compound. Someone before me had put screws through the stainless which caused water to get into the wood which caused dry rot. It used to be plastic similar to Plexiglass which scratched easily but is now laminated glass. I had a local glass shop cut the glass for me.

I use a bottle washer and some glass cleaner to get in there to clean it.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote