Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2014, 19:40   #1

Boat: Southern Ocean 32
Sloop to Yawl

Hi all
I am looking for some feedback on my conversion plans

I currently sail a steel twin keel 32' with skeg-hung rudder (third keel). She is sloop rigged as you can see on my profile picture.
I plan to convert her to a yawl because of the following reasons:
-she has a lower sail plan than the usual design and needs more sail area to move in lighter winds
-she has no autopilot and I would like a 'natural' alternative to balance her better/more easily. She does balance now but only one point of sail

I plan the following mods:
-add mizzen. I have a mast, rigging and sail in storage for this purpose. After what I have already done I don't foresee any issues doing that
-add sprit for yankee/genoa. I understand she will be outbalance by flying the mizzen with nothing to counterbalance. As it is she could do with more sail up front to balance on other points of sail

I understand I will have to do the calculations of COE/CLR and maybe shorten the foot of the main (which doesn't help sail area)

I would specifically like to hear from people who have done this and learn from their experience. I would really appreciate your feedback. Where I am there is not such thing as steel yacht, twin keeler or twin mast yacht, it's all racers, so good advice is hard to come by. Please don't reply just to hang it on those attributes of yachts or to use any value judgements, that would just not be helpful

Piet
pikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 22:02   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: sloop to yawl

Not much value here but our boat comes in a yawl version. I sometimes think about how different that would be. In the end, there would be no place for solar and wind power or a wind vane. Those things are more important.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 22:27   #3

Re: sloop to yawl

Hey Guy
thanks for your reply. I know what you mean, I guess it depends on your requirements. I have enough space for all of that, but my concerns are more about seating space requirements for the family. I could potentially add the mizzen and remove it if I don't like it, The bow sprit is more involved
Old 15-09-2014, 15:13   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Sloop to Yawl

Seriously?

Unless you have a NA doing the calculations there is no good way to determine if that section of the hull is strong enough to handle the loads involved. If you do have a NA doing the numbers then he should tell you. Adding a mast isn't as simple as just adding a stick, there are a lot of complicated force calculations that need to be taken into account and without them you have added an extremely dangerous piece of hardware wi no assurance that it won't fall over.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 15:38   #5

How much weather helm does you boat have now? A fairly inefficient small mizzen may make little difference in balance, depending on reef points, reefing philosophy etc.
However, if you are doing it to gain the use of a mizzen for the benefits...Heaving to, anchor stability etc. I don't think you are going to gain much speed at all really. You might be better off with a big roach main/full battens or a leg on the top of the main allowing a big leech. Just a thought.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 16:17   #6

Hi Stumble
Thanks for your reply. I am not too worried about the forces on the hull, 4mm steel and welded in 10 mm chainplates. I understand some people may think this is stupid and you should only do this with a degree behind you.
Putting up a mast is a pretty easy thing once you get the dependencies right, I have done it many times on single mast vessels and sailed through some tough stuff with no damage. This post is to see if anyone has done this conversion successfully and making sure I get the dependencies right, not for value judgments or opinions not based on experience. I hope that makes sense.
Old 15-09-2014, 16:20   #7

How much weather helm does you boat have now? A fairly inefficient small mizzen may make little difference in balance, depending on reef points, reefing philosophy etc.
However, if you are doing it to gain the use of a mizzen for the benefits...Heaving to, anchor stability etc. I don't think you are going to gain much speed at all really. You might be better off with a big roach main/full battens or a leg on the top of the main allowing a big leech. Just a thought

Thanks Cheechako
Completely agree with that. It's weighing up benefits vs effort

Tags
sloop