Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 13:21   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Yes Marine Tex is pretty much the same stuff just lots more expensive. If you have some, have at it. I have lots of the other so thats what I use.

Finshed well with 600 wet and dry(with a hard backer) followed by 800 and maybe 1200 and you may not have to worry about gelcoat. A quick shot of the correct colour spray paint will hide it.

Or you could suggest to your wife(if you're quick), as I have to mine on occaision, "If it bothers you so much why don't YOU fix it?"

She has learned not to be so picky about stuff that just doesn't matter all that much, but it has taken me 27yrs to get her(almost) trained.

Why she continues to put up with me is beyond my understanding.........m
Old 04-08-2009, 14:10   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
Yes Marine Tex is pretty much the same stuff just lots more expensive. If you have some, have at it. I have lots of the other so thats what I use.

Finshed well with 600 wet and dry(with a hard backer) followed by 800 and maybe 1200 and you may not have to worry about gelcoat. A quick shot of the correct colour spray paint will hide it.

Or you could suggest to your wife(if you're quick), as I have to mine on occaision, "If it bothers you so much why don't YOU fix it?"

She has learned not to be so picky about stuff that just doesn't matter all that much, but it has taken me 27yrs to get her(almost) trained.

Why she continues to put up with me is beyond my understanding.........m
1. I will try it.

2. LOL
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 16:58   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Regarding item 2.... is he lying? Or it it self-deception?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
1. I will try it.

2. LOL
I have tried the same approach, most recently on the head.
Old 04-08-2009, 17:17   #19

Boat: Westsail 32
Take a small chip of the gel from the edge of the damaged area and send it to Mini-Craft of Florida, Inc. - Inventor of the Aerosol Spray Gel-Kote they will formulate an exact match of product. Explain that you want to fill in a deep gouge and they will give you a repair gel putty. Acetone the damaged area, catalyze the gel with mekp and press the putty into the damaged area making sure that you build your material slightly above the profile of the surrounding area. After the new material hardens you will fair the repair material to match the profile of the origional gel by wet sanding with 400 grit paper, then 800 grit, then 1000 grit, polish with a liitle compound then a little wax and it should be invisible. Your issue is a very easy repair.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 17:18   #20

Boat: Westsail 32
P.S this is not a spray job
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 17:48   #21

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Take a small chip of the gel from the edge of the damaged area and send it to Mini-Craft of Florida, Inc. - Inventor of the Aerosol Spray Gel-Kote they will formulate an exact match of product. Explain that you want to fill in a deep gouge and they will give you a repair gel putty. Acetone the damaged area, catalyze the gel with mekp and press the putty into the damaged area making sure that you build your material slightly above the profile of the surrounding area. After the new material hardens you will fair the repair material to match the profile of the origional gel by wet sanding with 400 grit paper, then 800 grit, then 1000 grit, polish with a liitle compound then a little wax and it should be invisible. Your issue is a very easy repair.
Thanks, I sent them an email with the pics attached.
Old 04-08-2009, 18:07   #22

Boat: Privilege 37
Therapy, I would go with cburger's fix. Gelcoat doesn't adhere well to epoxy products so you should stick with a polyester type filler. The hardest part is getting a color match so if Mini-Craft can do that you are home free.
Old 04-08-2009, 18:56   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
Therapy, I would go with cburger's fix. Gelcoat doesn't adhere well to epoxy products so you should stick with a polyester type filler. The hardest part is getting a color match so if Mini-Craft can do that you are home free.
Thanks for the second opinion.

I'll see what they say..........and how much it costs!!