Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2019, 07:10   #1

Boat: Pearson 424
small repair with the core

repairing small areas (in the cockpit) that have old some rot , not much about 1 square feet. can I use exterior plywood coated with epoxy for core material

balsa only comes in 4x8 sheets and is very expensive
shadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:22   #2

Re: small repair with the core

When I did my lazarette lids I bought balso core that was cubed and backed with glass. It was dirt cheap and I could buy it in as small a sheet as I wanted. Plywood was 4x8 only. "Exterior" plywood can mean a few things. If we are talking pressure treated (green) plywood I'd be careful. It usually has a higher moisture content due to the process, which is fine for exterior use and rot resistance, however it will not let paint, let along epoxy, stick to it very well.

My balsa supplier:

http://compositescanada.com/
GuyFromTheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:10   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

You can use whatever you want for core material, so long as it keeps the fiberglass laminations apart and keeps them from flexing. Problems come when using a different material from the surrounding area makes a "hard spot" because of the varying bend characteristics of two different adjoining core materials. To give an exaggerated example, if you used crumpled newspaper in one place and a thick aluminum sheet in another, after walking on the completed repair you would expect cracks to develop where the two came together. If you can keep the fiberglass from flexing by using thick enough laminates, like in cabin tops where plywood goes underneath winch bases, the different materials work out OK.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:32   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

You can use plywood and it doesn't need to be exterior grade, although that's not a bad idea. It just needs to be dry. It also doesn't need to be coated with epoxy prior to laminating. Your balsa surrounding it is not waterproof, so this little patch doesn't need to be either. What it needs to be is very dry, as a previous poster mentioned.

Also, you will want to do the laminating work when it is peak temperature for the day. Woods (including balsa) breathe with temperature changes. When it's getting hotter out, you'll get bubbles in your laminate, making for a weaker bond. When it's getting cooler out, you'll get some resin sucked into the wood, making for an even better bond than you'd have using foam core.

I wouldn't worry about dissimilar materials in this case. The stiffness of balsa on compression is pretty similar to the stiffness of plywood on compression assuming a similar thickness. Just make sure it's a nice, dry, stiff piece of ply.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 21:36   #5

Boat: Dufour Arpege

LBI in Groton, CT has balsa core in 2' x 4" sheets.
Rod

https://www.lbifiberglass.com/
otterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 05:22   #6

Boat: Carroll Marine,Frers 38, 38.5’

I would not use exterior grade plywood.
I’ve re-cored decks and hull areas
It’s a messy tough job that you don’t want to do again - It’s not worth saving a few bucks.
I’ve used the glass backed balsa sheets (as well as other coring materials) - they’re easy to use and contour to match any deck bend. They’re also way easier to stick in place if you’re working from underneath (which you should do if at all possible).
Down East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 05:35   #7

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I agree with Chotu's post. I think it says all you need to know.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 05:38   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down East View Post
I would not use exterior grade plywood.
I’ve re-cored decks and hull areas
It’s a messy tough job that you don’t want to do again - It’s not worth saving a few bucks.
I’ve used the glass backed balsa sheets (as well as other coring materials) - they’re easy to use and contour to match any deck bend. They’re also way easier to stick in place if you’re working from underneath (which you should do if at all possible).
I'd agree with all of this, but was just pointing out he could use plywood for the record. If that's what he's really set on doing. Actually much easier to use new balsa. But if he doesn't want to there is no harm in ply except as you said... If the deck has a camber to it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 10:32   #9

Cut correct thickness plywood into 2x2 inch blocks.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 10:43   #10

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

If you only need a little balsa, go to your local hobby shop that sells RC airplanes. They are all made from balsa and they should have blocks or sheets you can laminate.
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core