Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2023, 15:27   #1

Boat: Voyage 440
Smart fridge thermostat

Hey all, hope you're well!

I've searched the forums here but was unable to really find what I was looking for, so I'm a longtime lurker, first time posting.

I'm looking for a new thermostat for our fridge and freezer. I know they make some simple ones; but I'm looking for one that meets all the criteria (or at least most of them). I doubt I'm going to be able to find one that ticks all the boxes, but looking for some suggestions and ideas.

***** Criteria *****
- 12V
- Fan control (or at least able to provide power. Being able to control always on or sometimes on is a plus).
- Record of temp i.e. all time high/low. (So if we come back form being away, we can see if there was a problem and the temp got too high like if it was off for a while. Ideally it would be on the display, but see smart home section if not).
- On/Off schedule. (We shut the fridge off every night to keep ice buildup off the cold plate. However we forget quite often).
- Smart home connection (Home assistant) for a few reasons below.
--- Set alarms/notifications for temp
--- Remote monitoring
--- On/Off schedule (as mentioned above).

**** Our components***
- Adler-Barbour WAECO PowerPlate Systems - PB1001-134

Looking for ideas/components to excite it all. I'm sure the smart connection is going to have to be a separate system but just wanted to put it out there.

- Thanks,
Goofy Boots Travel
Maximus01701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2023, 09:29   #2

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'
Re: Smart fridge thermostat

This doesn't meet all your criteria, but i use https://www.sensorpush.com/ for remote monitoring. I have 2 sensors (fridge/freezer) and a wifi gateway. I'm close enough to the boat to check if I see a problem.

Sean
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2023, 12:12   #3

Nah, this is great thank you. I do think it's going to have to be two separate things to make it happen.

I stumbled upon this guy https://www.adventurousway.com/blog/smart-rv-tour

He had a lot of overall good info.
Old 17-10-2023, 13:29   #4

Boat: Columbia 36

I can't help much with the thermostat, but a friend told me about a trick she uses to tell if the fridge went out. She simply puts a penny on top of an ice cube tray in the freezer. If she returns and finds the penny at the bottom of the ice cube, she knows the power went out and thawed everything.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2023, 08:42   #5

I've heard of similar ideas. We actually use some Amazon special thermometers that you can buy 4 to a pack. They log the highest temp, lowest temp, and current time.