Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2014, 15:55   #31

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: So I need to replace my teak deck....

If you want to replace your teak with wood rather than man made, there are alternatives to teak that are sometimes less expensive and pretty much as good. These include ipe, iroko, jarrah, greenheart, and hinoki cypress. True teak, because of its demand and over harvesting is now extremely expensive, but shop around for the alternatives.
Old 21-11-2014, 08:35   #32

Boat: Seapiper 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Yeah,I looked at that estimate. In no way would that job justify 103k. You could lay a whole new keel for that much. I'm all for a fair wage for craftsman (myself being one) but unless the job would take 3 months for a crew of 8 guys I can't see it

Sent from my SM-T700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
If you are willing to do your own work, what I did on Grendel cost me $3500. Its the most professional look possible for an alternative for teak.
hgd137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 08:56   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Yeah,I looked at that estimate. In no way would that job justify 103k. You could lay a whole new keel for that much. I'm all for a fair wage for craftsman (myself being one) but unless the job would take 3 months for a crew of 8 guys I can't see it.
Got a rough estimate of $80K on a Oyster 485. The guy said 2-3 months under roof. I'm in the trades too but I don't know much about the work involved in entirely replacing a teak deck. I've heard removing the old can be half the labor.

FWIW, that estimate included unstepping the mast, removing all hardware, removing the old teak, preparing the sub-surface, installing the new teak, and putting everything back as it was. All in an enclosed building, which was figured into the price. But I was told, depending on what yard does the work, it could be more.

I also priced out just the materials. For them to make the templates and build a ready-to-be-installed teak deck, just the wood alone would run about $28K.
Old 21-11-2014, 09:48   #34

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

What's involved in DIY: WEST SYSTEM | Modifying and Customizing Boats - Installing a teak deck on Zatara
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 10:25   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
They list Slab cut rough teak 8/4x10"x12'. I didn't see a large bandsaw to resaw that stock or a thickness planer for final thicknessing on the list so they either had those tools and milled the stock themselves, or they paid someone to do it.

I'd be surprised if those teak slabs were quarter sawn, not for $20/bdft. So they probably had some flat sawn pieces in there.

The other thing that concerned me was pressure washing the teak, after sanding to 120 grit. You'd tear out some of the soft wood and it would need sanding again.
Old 21-11-2014, 11:39   #36

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

If I'm putting 100k into a 200k boat I might as well buy a completely brand new boat for 450-500k. After the deck and other refit items your getting way up there on a 13 year old boat for me..... i guess my 30k was a good price

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 12:41   #37

Just watched this slide show of replacing the teak deck on a Swan 371. The pictures go by pretty fast so I paused a few dozen times to get a better idea of what's involved. That's a LOT of work!

Old 21-11-2014, 16:40   #38
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
If you want to replace your teak with wood rather than man made, there are alternatives to teak that are sometimes less expensive and pretty much as good. These include ipe, iroko, jarrah, greenheart, and hinoki cypress. True teak, because of its demand and over harvesting is now extremely expensive, but shop around for the alternatives.

+1. And then you don't have to use plantation teak, which is pretty much all that's available. Some pretty nice options for less money.

My Anastasia 36 was sprung Port Orford decks with mahogany covering boards and kingplank. Very nice.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 18:20   #39

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

The teak deck on this 43' boat had been worn so badly that little of the caulking remained and many of the grooves had disappeared--I had to create new caulking grooves. The teak was still thick enough and well bonded to the deck, but deeply rutted from the deck brush. Hundreds of fasteners were showing, as the deck had been worn down clear through the plugs. Yet there were no leaks into the boat or core. So I removed every original fastener, re-countersunk, then bedded and installed a new fastener, and lastly glued in new plugs.

All deck hardware was removed and either replaced or re-bedded, as necessary. Main-sheet traveler was replaced. Prior to re-caulking, I faired the entire deck using hand planes, belt and disc sanders, and a lot of hand work on acres of teak. Bad spots in the original planking were routed out and new pieces fitted.

The anchor locker hatch originally had a large fiberglass "hump" to clear a large windlass (hump shows in linked photo example). The new, low-profile, below-decks windlass negated the need for that (with some custom mods), so I cut it off the hump, re-glassed the hatch, and installed a new teak overlay on the hatch to precisely match the adjacent deck planking and king plank.

We managed to save this deck and avoid the much greater expense of removing and replacing it.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 18:24   #40

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Wow that's beautiful. My deck is coming up in places though

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 18:44   #41

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Stick it back down.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 07:28   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
$30K for the whole job or just the wood? I have an estimate for over $100k to do mine. Send me a PM with your email and I will send you a copy.
CAELESTIS

What's wrong with your deck??? Mine's in great shape with the exception of 10% of the fasteners wearing through the bungs... I figure there's a ton of material left...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Wowsa... An Astrid sighting...
Hope whatever has kept you busy was more pleasure than work!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 14:30   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

natraps I feel your pain as I am going through the same process.
My deck had sprung in places, most of the bungs were gone, and the calking had failed . I got a quote for a new deck ( $40k - $50k ) and the new boards were going to be 3/8" while my 30 year old deck was still 1/2". The problem with new teak decks is they are almost all teak sourced from Central American or Caribbean teak farms from young growth trees and the planks will probably split in a few years. My original deck is Burmese teak from natural forest, old growth trees which does not exist anymore.
I decided to pull all the screws ( over 2,000 ), epoxy all the holes, re-bed the boards and next I am going to cut new grooves and re-caulk the whole deck. This has been a HUGE amount of work but I did it all myself and in the end I will have a thicker deck than new that will probably last another 15 years. Also a whole lot of spare money.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak deck