Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2007, 06:27   #31

non skid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
your deck area is finished...Still want to repair decks?
Must have taken you a beer or two just to write that out! Great description of the process though. Couple of questions/observations??

If you were doing a 2X6 area on deck it's almost a guarantee you're going to be cutting into non-skid. What's your approach to that? Enlarge the area to outside the non skid? I hear that getting the upper skin off core that is still solid and well bonded is very difficult. I've never heard of a good way of fixing the non-skid to have a non-visible repair. Perhaps fill the non-skid flush on each side of the seams for a few inches? Fixing it from below is a possibility but I've heard that is like showering in a toxic gel and to be avoided at almost any cost.

Small voids in deck layup that are less than 20 sq. in. are really common in production boats. In my experience they can easily be fixed by injecting thickened epoxy from above or below. After determining the area, I use two 1/4" holes at opposite sides, one for stuff in and one for stuff out when it's full. Put a small bung on the injection device to seal that hole as you're injecting it and when it comes out the other side it should be full.

Thanks again for the great description of the process.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 09:29   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Being born Hamilton, Ont GordMay, I have put away a few two fours of Five Oh...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 10:02   #33

Boat: Cheoy Lee Ludders 36
Celestialsailor

That was beautiful. You could make a living writing about boat repair!

If you lube the screws with car wax or beeswax they come out a lot more easily once the epoxy has set.

John
JohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 11:14   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Being born Hamilton, Ont GordMay, I have put away a few two fours of Five Oh...
I was a Crystal man myself, but switched to Stella, now that I only drink them 1 at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50Labatts.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	2123  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 18:41   #35

Sadly...I had to give up that life style. Apparently I drank my share and a few others. Do like the acetone and epoxy though...What was my name again???
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 28-11-2007, 18:50   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
Must have taken you a beer or two just to write that out! Great description of the process though. Couple of questions/observations??

If you were doing a 2X6 area on deck it's almost a guarantee you're going to be cutting into non-skid. What's your approach to that? Enlarge the area to outside the non skid? I hear that getting the upper skin off core that is still solid and well bonded is very difficult. I've never heard of a good way of fixing the non-skid to have a non-visible repair. Perhaps fill the non-skid flush on each side of the seams for a few inches? Fixing it from below is a possibility but I've heard that is like showering in a toxic gel and to be avoided at almost any cost.

Small voids in deck layup that are less than 20 sq. in. are really common in production boats. In my experience they can easily be fixed by injecting thickened epoxy from above or below. After determining the area, I use two 1/4" holes at opposite sides, one for stuff in and one for stuff out when it's full. Put a small bung on the injection device to seal that hole as you're injecting it and when it comes out the other side it should be full.

Thanks again for the great description of the process.
-Non skid comes in many different styles lets say. My Tartan Blackwatch was a stipple rolled LPU and Cabosil combo. If it was a molded diamond shape non-skid, get out the triangular file and 2 cases of beer. Please remember, I switch from epoxy to polyester resin for the sake of deck skin compatability. Epoxy does not do well with the UV rays from the sun. Even though polyester resin will not stck to epoxy, it will bond the skinn back to the deck quite well with the F/G rope strands and IS IT STRONG!
-If they are truly voids and a drill test shouls prove if its wel or not, then the epoxy injection is a good way to go.
Old 19-08-2011, 09:07   #37

Re: Soft Spots on the Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharvard View Post
I would love to hear from someone who has actually worked on his or her boat's deck soft spots. Who has mixed up some core-fix material (glass shavings, wood shavings, epoxly, etc?) and injected it into troubled areas. I ask this because the lovely 1973 Tartan 41 we are considering buying has this problem -- port and starboard -- near the companionway entrance.

Also: Does anyone have any recommendations / a source for wood or glass "blocks" onto which one could place/move mainsheet traveler to the coach roof. Mine is now in the cockpit --- on bridge deck seat in front of companionway entrance ---which hinders installation of dodger where I would like ...

Dixon in Michigan
Just a word of warning... whatever you know before you buy it is probably 20% of everything that is wrong!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck